Skelital Chassis Full size

Biped Robots

Skelital Chassis Full size

Postby Justin » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:23 am

Hey Matt perhaps you can answer this with your exsperience with Movie Magic and Animatronic's but for large robot's < The Robot from Lost in Space, The Terminator movies, Etc what Servo's /Control rigging do you use for such large scale machines? I got into a conversation with a fellow here in Reno who is a Student of the UNR Robotic's class's and I was talking to him about your Hexapod's and over the course of our lunch the topic came up in the idea of possibly building a Full Sized ( by that I mean Human sized or alittle larger) Huminoid Robot Hobby Servo Moter's Aside when dealing with much larger robotic where Space and power consumption come up a great deal are there robotic Moters that are Say not HUGE but rather round flat Like a Spacer Washer, Do you have any Experience with the big stuff? If so I would like any Advice for Research tip's or personal Experience you could offer.

My Friend who's name is Richard has more exsperience then I in both engeneering and Robotic's and he's working on his own design for a Chassis built of or at least Simular to a Human Skeliton by that I dont mean the Endo Skelitons from a terminator movie but off of the actual Skeliton of a human what he is attepting to design is a Mechanical version of a human Spine in flexability where by the motor's/Actuators can there by be attached. personaly I dont know if his idea's are realistic but I thought I would put it out here on the list.

I know as far as the smaller flatter moter's ive seen some applications of this with the Exoskeliton Model's that Japan has come up with and the american military here and there the Mucyle suit's but Ive no idea what motor's they may be useing for this sort of thing.

Justin.
Justin

Re: Skelital Chassis Full size

Postby Matt Denton » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi Justin,

Most larger scale robot projects I have worked on have used linear actuators, either electrical or hydraulic. The issue with larger robots is usually the power supply, particularly with electrical actuators. On the LIS robot we used hydraulics, but the power pack was off-board, and was a very large 3-phase pack which would never have fitted in the robot! That's the beauty of movies.. you can cheat. I'm currently working on a large scale hexapod, can't say too much, but it will be hydraulic and have an on-=board diesel driven hydraulic pack. :twisted:
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Neelz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:32 pm

since i've first seen a video of one of your hexapods, i've been dreaming of an gigantic hexapod on which i can ride trough the lands and climb mountains and that stuff :D
also its my favourite project if i would be very rich sometime :twisted:
Neelz

Postby TXBDan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:02 am

Matt Denton wrote:Hi Justin,

Most larger scale robot projects I have worked on have used linear actuators, either electrical or hydraulic. The issue with larger robots is usually the power supply, particularly with electrical actuators. On the LIS robot we used hydraulics, but the power pack was off-board, and was a very large 3-phase pack which would never have fitted in the robot! That's the beauty of movies.. you can cheat. I'm currently working on a large scale hexapod, can't say too much, but it will be hydraulic and have an on-=board diesel driven hydraulic pack. :twisted:

OH shit! That will be AMAZING. If you thought Big Dog was scary think about a hexapod! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
TXBDan

Postby wattsie » Fri May 15, 2009 11:22 am

So Matt....

Any more little glimpses of information on the 'larger hexapod?'

Wattsie
wattsie

Postby Matt Denton » Fri May 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Nothing much to report I'm afraid, raising funds is a slow.. dull process :(

I have spent the lst two days trying to get my head around Linux. I need a new development platform, I have previously used a DOS target machine, with XP development, and remote debug via paralell or TCP/IP. However, the remote debug in DOS via TCP/Ip is really flakey, and parallel ports are becoming hard to find! so decided to take the plunge and look into Linux.

So far I have an old laptop running Debian, I am familiarizing myself with Linux commands, users, terminals etc.. so far so good, but I'm having issues with getting the Debian laptop visible on my windows network, I have smaba running and can see the Debian machine, but can't access any folders / files.. I figured this would be an easy way to transfer stuff, once I get it working.

Next step is to figure out how to compile a programme to run on the Debian PC, then set-up a remote debug system similar to my previous XP->DOS system... knowing nothing about Linux It feels like a VERY steep hill to climb.
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

linux / debian

Postby jebidiam » Fri May 15, 2009 5:29 pm

Hey Matt, I administer linux boxes at work and use it all the time at home. Various flavors of Ubuntu and Debian. If you have any questions about linux, debian, samba, or whatever, just ask.
jebidiam

Postby Matt Denton » Fri May 15, 2009 6:31 pm

jebidiam wrote:Hey Matt, I administer linux boxes at work and use it all the time at home. Various flavors of Ubuntu and Debian. If you have any questions about linux, debian, samba, or whatever, just ask.

Great! I will start a new thread or PM you soon :)
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Sun May 17, 2009 8:01 am

Matt On the topic of your Full sized Mecha Hexapod.. though your a actual company man I thought I would Introduce you to these guys and maybe you might find something you can work with.

http://www.mechaps.com/about/
Justin

Postby Matt Denton » Sun May 17, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for the link Justin, looks like those guys are having fun!

Well I'm a pretty small company, most of the time its just me, whihc is why I'm trying to get funding so that I can commence R&D and expand. If this doesn't work then maybe I should try the volunteers approach.. although it seems allot easier to get projects such as this off the ground in the U.S. :?:
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Bipeds