My Walking Robot Inspiration.. What's yours?

General robot discussions

Re: My Walking Robot Inspiration.. What's yours?

Postby jaspinall » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:26 am

[youtube=CD2V8GFqk_Y]Timberjack[/youtube]
Jason Aspinall
Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer & Freelance Photographer
http://www.chilledatthebottom.com
PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ASKING FOR DESIGN FILES
THEY ARE EXCLUSIVE TO ME AND ARE NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION OR FOR SALE
jaspinall

Postby No1_sonuk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:53 am

While the killer hexes from Runaways were probably the root of my wanting to build a walking bot, it was Stargate's Replicators, (and the fact that I can now afford it) that started me seriously looking into it.

Having seen several different designs, I "stumbled" across Matt's. The "simplicity" of the coxa design in particular has got me actually building stuff. "Simplicity" in that statement isn't meant to be disparaging. It's probably the best coxa joint design I've seen. It's certainly the tidiest, and probably the best method that doesn't involve adhesives of some kind.
No1_sonuk

Postby Matt Denton » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:18 am

Love the timber jack video! Its just such a shame it never became a commercialy viable product.. and the fact you could actually age if you tried to take it too the shops..

"Darling.. I'm just popping to the shops.. I'll take the timberjack!.. I may be some time!"

No1_sonuk wrote:Having seen several different designs, I "stumbled" across Matt's. The "simplicity" of the coxa design in particular has got me actually building stuff. "Simplicity" in that statement isn't meant to be disparaging. It's probably the best coxa joint design I've seen. It's certainly the tidiest, and probably the best method that doesn't involve adhesives of some kind.

Cheers!, I took about 5 iterations on/off over 5 years to simplify that design. That probably sounds mad, but each time I looked into producing a kit I had to find ways to make it cheaper/simpler. The coxa joint was always an issue due to the awkward mounting of the femur servo. If you could see all my designs since 2001, you would see how how much production time the sandwiched servo saves!

I wonder if there is enough interest in the UK to do a Hexapod "6 legged freaks" meet up? Or would there just be like four of us sat in a room talking crap for a few hours :)
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby jaspinall » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:22 am

Matt Denton wrote:Love the timber jack video! Its just such a shame it never became a commercialy viable product.. and the fact you could actually age if you tried to take it too the shops..
"Darling.. I'm just popping to the shops.. I'll take the timberjack!.. I may be some time!"

Quite!! Given it's hydraulics are diesel powered, I was quite surprised to see how slow it was to move...

Matt Denton wrote:I wonder if there is enough interest in the UK to do a Hexapod "6 legged freaks" meet up? Or would there just be like four of us sat in a room talking crap for a few hours :)

The latter probably :lol: Worthy of a giggle or two mind 8-)
Jason Aspinall
Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer & Freelance Photographer
http://www.chilledatthebottom.com
PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ASKING FOR DESIGN FILES
THEY ARE EXCLUSIVE TO ME AND ARE NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION OR FOR SALE
jaspinall

Postby paulp » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:51 am

I wonder if there is enough interest in the UK to do a Hexapod "6 legged freaks" meet up? Or would there just be like four of us sat in a room talking crap for a few hours

Funny you should say that, last year there was a meeting in Birmingham at the millenium point Science and Industry museum for a robot competition. Sumo of some sort, anywho a group of biped robot enthusiasts were tagging onto the exhibition.

Might be an idea to try and tag on to someone elses exhibition as a side display maybe...
paulp

Postby BillB » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Funny you should say that, last year there was a meeting in Birmingham at the millenium point Science and Industry museum for a robot competition. Sumo of some sort, anywho a group of biped robot enthusiasts were tagging onto the exhibition.

I come from the Biped robot side. But have now cannabilised it to make a Hexapod. I have been to the Birmingham event for the last few years with my Biped (and even won a few of the Biped events). It is first and foremost a micromouse competition (maze solving, drag racing and sumo competitions). For the last 2 years us "biped robot enthusiasts" have also attended. The organisers kindly let us use a few tables in the corner (free of charge provided we donated a few prizes to the micromouse event).

To make the biped meet more fun we set up a few Biped competitions/challenges like Kung Fu, Stair climb, Sprint etc. This made it slightly competitive, helped draw a crowd and was a good opportunity to show off the our creations. The great thing is that everyone there loves to talk Robots - and that was what we did pretty much all day.

The "Birmingham meet" happens twice a year, once in June and once in November. The June event is really quite big with several hundred robot enthusiasts attending (almost all for the Micromouse comp). The November meet is much more low key - probably of the order of 60 people in all.

I am very sure that Hexapods would be welcome there, if there is enough interest I can contact the organiser to see if it would be possible to have a couple of tables set aside for Hexapods.

Oh - it will be worth having a few hexapod events - Hexapod football perhaps? Or even Hexapod Sprint?
BillB

Postby paulp » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi BIll

Like yourself, my hex is made from a cannibalised KHR Humanoid..

It may have been yourself that I was talking to on Lynxmotion forums, I was intending to go to Brum as I live only a few miles away but as always work gets in the way and I got distracted.
paulp

Postby Invader_Zim » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm turning 25 now on November 18th... D'OH!
CLEAN lemony fresh victory is MINEE!!
Invader_Zim

Postby paulp » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:54 pm

As for inspiration...

I had one of these (or one very similar., Don't remember the face) for christmas back in the mid sixties. It was awesome even though the metal edges left some nasty cuts.

Then there was Terminator. Seeing that film just started it all. I actually managed to get near one of the Terminator mockups in Universal Studios in Orlando which only added to the need to build.

Also 15 years of scratch building model railways tends to leave scars that need to be covered over somehow. lol...
paulp

Postby paulp » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:55 pm

Invader_Zim wrote:I'm turning 25 now on November 18th... D'OH!

God your old.....NOT
paulp

PreviousNext

Return to Other