RF serial links

General robot discussions

Re: RF serial links

Postby paulp » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:28 pm

Robosavvy are good and quite genuine. I have used them for Kondo stuff though Ive always bought direct for their other products such as Sparkfun..

Sparkfun are good and the support team are really helpful.
paulp

Postby No1_sonuk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:44 am

Hmm. The BlueSmirf looks interesting.
Especially as Lynxmotion have an SSC-32/Bluesmirf interface how-to.
http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build117.htm
I already have a BT dongle for my PC. I think that's the way I'll go.
No1_sonuk

Postby paulp » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:25 pm

Yeah, very touchy subject that. If you look at my lexapod thread you'll see that I use the Bluesmirf with mine. I originally worked my Bluesmirf with a SSC32 and several other boards, long before Lynxmotion '''discovered''' how to.
paulp

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:38 pm

You want to be careful streaming packets over bluetooth, as you bluetooth tends to delay and/or segment the packets (Paul may be able to verify this). This is where ZigBee is better, although not so convenient as purchasing BT dongles.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby paulp » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:22 pm

Very true, it does depend which combination of Dongle / receiver you use. Anything V2 and Vista compliant seems okay though Ive read articles that recommend using the Widdcomm bluetooth stack on XP. Unfortunately Vista stops Widcomm being installed.

If you have the money and the knowledge, there are WiFi modules available and being IP based are ideally suited for streaming
paulp

Postby No1_sonuk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:37 pm

I'm going to try the Bluetooth route, as I already have half the link (PC dongle). I'm running XP, so Vista issues aren't a problem.

Do the BT modules generally interfere with 2.4GHz video transmitters?. Mine will be either end of an MSR-H01 chassis - Camera on PTH at the front, BT at the back.
No1_sonuk

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:48 pm

No1_sonuk wrote:Do the BT modules generally interfere with 2.4GHz video transmitters?. Mine will be either end of an MSR-H01 chassis - Camera on PTH at the front, BT at the back.

Probably more likely the other way round.. video sender interfere with BT module, however, the BT module should skip the video sender range. generally speaking video senders take up 1/4 of the available channels.. I think?
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby No1_sonuk » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Matt Denton wrote:generally speaking video senders take up 1/4 of the available channels.. I think?

They do usually operate on only 4 channels in the band. Whether or not that means they occupy 1/4 of the band, I don't know.

I've got a Bluesmirf on order. I'll see what happens.
No1_sonuk

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:29 pm

Yes I'm pretty sure they occupy 1/4 of the band.. they can be pretty messy occupiers too!
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby paulp » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:20 pm

I have a class 2 100m Bluetooth and when I'm running anything over that it wipes out my Wireless keyboard so yes, very messy and not at all friendly
paulp

PreviousNext

Return to Other