Ideas I wish were real - Hexapod Add-Ons

General robot discussions

Ideas I wish were real - Hexapod Add-Ons

Postby Invader_Zim » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:59 am

Well, I have some (fictional?) ideas for some features I wish my hexapod could have. I'll list them by order, and you guys can post your comments / feedback, and possibly explain ways that some could be achieved? Here it goes...

1 - Add a pair of tracks (think a tank, or Fast Trax RC car from early 90s)
Description: In case the hexapod needs a quick getaway, the tracks will be deployed. The trigger could be a voice command, or sensor feedback. Say I wanted the thing to hurry up, it would deploy the tracks and be able to keep up with me.

2 - Powered Wireless (Yes, I JUST said wireless power, but backwards!)
Description: I hate batteries, I dislike batteries. I DESPISE batteries with the intensity of a thousand Suns! They limit our technology and add so much weight; some are even dangerous! Well, I figured that power could be "transfered wirelessly", through a resonnance effect (I guess?). Suppose I make a coil that emits a certain frequency, say uhh, 66Hz, then I make one that resonnates at that exact frequency...wouldn't electricity be generated on the 2nd coil? Of course It would probably be weak, but I bet that with enough tweaking, it could produce enough juice to power a hexabod (considering that it could be powered by a mere 4.5 ~ 6v, dunno about the amps however). Maybe coupling a few might give you enough power.

3 - Voice Activated Robot (I always wanted a robot pet)
Desc: Now that the thing is powered wirelessly and has a pair of fast tracks underneath, lets add a bit of intelligence. Suppose the thing could distinguish your voice and follow your preprogrammed commands, such as STOP or HURRY THE FREAKING HELL UP!, and the likes. Then add a speaker so the damn thing can talk back at you, and make R2D2 sounds that only you'd understand. I think it could be done with current technology, but would probably demand a lot of lines of codes and a better CPU...but it would probably be best if it was somehow connected to a PC....see next idea.

4 - WAN ready! (www.2 Hexs 1 Pod.eww)
Desc: Say you wanted your hexapod to play music for you, or control it from online, or say you wanted to update its firmware anywhere you go where there is internet. Say you wanted to transfer some files and upload them elsewhere, or say you wanted your hexapod to do more complex tasks that required faster, more powerful hardware. Why not connect it to a PC through WAN and have the PC take some of the load off and do complex calculations and such. Sorta like a server/client relation. The bot would be in constant communication with the host, while it walks 'round the house shouting profanities.

These are just some ideas that I wish I could have on my own hexapod. Of course the goal here is basically a computer with legs/wheels (An actual computer. Windows based, Linux, Mac, OS2?, whatever). One that requires little maintainance and is intelligent. Of course I'm asking for opinions and feedback...however I would prefer it if nay sayers would not pitch in. Reason being is that I already know most of the technical challenges. Plus I hate negativity. Anything and everything is possible! What I want to know is, has anyone ever thought of these, or if they already exist for that matter. Perhaps how some of those things can be achieved, THEN maybe talk about some of the technical challenges, but only to work out a solution. You're welcome to add your own ideas as well.

Invader Zim
CLEAN lemony fresh victory is MINEE!!
Invader_Zim

Re: Ideas I wish were real - Hexapod Add-Ons

Postby No1_sonuk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:41 am

Invader_Zim wrote:1 - Add a pair of tracks (think a tank, or Fast Trax RC car from early 90s)
Description: In case the hexapod needs a quick getaway, the tracks will be deployed. The trigger could be a voice command, or sensor feedback. Say I wanted the thing to hurry up, it would deploy the tracks and be able to keep up with me.

I have seen a quad on Youtube that walked across some grass onto a road, then turned its feet through 90 degrees and "skated" off down the road on wheels. I'll find the link when I get home.

Technologically speaking, I'd think this would be the easiest of your wishes to grant.
Most walking bots like Matt's can lift their legs high enough to put the bottom of their body on the ground, so all you'd need to do is put the tracks there.
Alternatively, it could be done like the WW1 rhomboid tanks, with the tracks running right around the legs' coxae.
No1_sonuk

Postby No1_sonuk » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:22 am

No1_sonuk

Postby Invader_Zim » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:27 am

That was pretty darn cool, and and and cute. Damn cute. And big. Wonder how I can implement something like that on mine...hmmm... I think I'll be searching for a Fast Trax on ebay! Thanks for the vid!!
CLEAN lemony fresh victory is MINEE!!
Invader_Zim

Return to Other