[youtube=CvxIB83Y0PA][/youtube]
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Re: Large hexapod walking house???

Postby No1_sonuk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:47 pm

Surely wheels would be more efficient...
No1_sonuk

Postby wattsie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:22 pm

I imagine the possibilities are endless, although i cant really think of any off the top of my head!

But hydraulics are much stronger than servo's so who knows.... maybe the inspiration for a small scale hydraulic hexapod, somehow using a bit of kit to translate the hex engine servo pulses to solenoid opening's. Maybe CrabFu's steam power (ok not quite hydraulics, but..) and Matts hex engine could be combined into a new branch of hex engineering..... haha....anything is possible with enough cash lying around!

wattsie
wattsie

Postby No1_sonuk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:21 pm

Steam powered walker, huh?
You been watching "Wild Wild West" recently?
No1_sonuk

Postby wattsie » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:45 pm

Haha, I forgot about that cinematic garbage..... I completely retract my previous comment!

Although I always thought a hydraulic hex would be cool, if ya could get over the problems of miniaturization of all the equipment. The power and weight carrying capacity would be much more than servo's! I think I might have made a very simple pneumatic one out of Technic as a kid!

I think that my current work with hydraulics is starting to filter into my hobby/robotics life..... damn work.... Love it, but it should be left in the office!

wattsie
wattsie

Postby jaspinall » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:57 am

The worrying thing is...whoever built that thing must think it's really really cool. When, all along, it's simply really really, painfully slow. Infact, I don't think I've see hydraulics work that slow anywhere before. Just imagine if JC Bamford made diggers that slow! :shock:
Jason Aspinall
Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer & Freelance Photographer
http://www.chilledatthebottom.com
PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ASKING FOR DESIGN FILES
THEY ARE EXCLUSIVE TO ME AND ARE NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION OR FOR SALE
jaspinall

Postby No1_sonuk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:07 am

I think the main reason it's slow is the part about its energy coming from the environment (check out its YouTube and web page), so the hydraulic system has to be low-powered, rather than the diesel-engined JCB approach.
No1_sonuk

Postby jaspinall » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 am

Mmmm Idid...then I took a look at the Danish website which goes into detail regarding the insides... basically maximum space for "living room" and "kitchen" area...not sure where all the workings live, unless it' all on the roof :?
Jason Aspinall
Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer & Freelance Photographer
http://www.chilledatthebottom.com
PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ASKING FOR DESIGN FILES
THEY ARE EXCLUSIVE TO ME AND ARE NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION OR FOR SALE
jaspinall

Postby BillB » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:07 am

Wow, hats off for making such a large Hexapod. And the first one I have seen using all linear actuators.

It appears to be using the Tripod gait - which is meant to be a very fast type hexapod gait.

Such a hexapod with a long body that can contain people poses some interesting questions like what happens if the a person moves to one of the ends such that the COB moves outside of the tripos stance. Will it topple? Or can it adjust? It would need to move much more quickly in order to adjust.

In theory a journey in such a machine could be quite smooth (especially at those speeds) but at faster speeds the inertia of the moving legs may result in a jerky ride. Or would it?
BillB

Return to Other