Hexapod Robot CNC router

Robot Projects

Re: Hexapod Robot CNC router

Postby JimmyB32 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Hey matt! Just stumbled across your hexapod cnc router.... Words are escaping me! :D

Very, very , very cool robot man!
Ever since I was a Kid I have wanted to build a 6 or 8 legged bot and almost tried about 12 years ago when I was given 17 festo 1640mm bi directional air rams whilst working for somone in the same field as yourself. The size of the build was allways going to be a bit large for my liking but the cost of the 5v phneumatic switches and the compressor suited to charging scuba tanks was the clincher!

Your servo based platform has inspired me and re-kindled the willingness to commit serious thought to the project again!
Though my programming skills are as rusty as the wippet block in my dad's back yard and I've never touched a PIC or any other uC before (though I've been wanting to learn about em for years now), this just may be the project that inspires me to get back into it!
Kudos matt! and thanks for sharing it with the world! :D :D
Just quickly though... is the lack of resolution a hardware limitation or a software limitation? and have you concidered attaching the router head to the tail of the face following pod? :D Was my first thought once I'd seen the two vids and will be my aim when I get a replication off the ground assuming of course I can replicate it... in either case, again, nice work and again, thanks! :D
Jimmy from Aus.
JimmyB32

Postby Matt Denton » Mon May 24, 2010 7:50 am

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I have considered taking the image produced by iC and feeding it into the CNC hexapod, but will probably never get the time :)

The limited resolution is due to the resolution of the servos, these are about 10bit across 180 degrees, combined with the fact that only a small range of this resolution is used for the routing area.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby JimmyB32 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:27 am

Ahhh I c...

Thanks for the reply :D
JimmyB32

Postby wolverine » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:33 pm

hey matt i just saw ur cnc hexapod and i just cant figure out how u are feeding the images to the hexapod and make it move to cut the shape , and i wanted to ask can u apload more than one shape to the microntroller or its just one ?
wolverine

Postby Matt Denton » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi Wolverine,

The shapes are sent from a PC via a bluetooth serial link. The PC converts G-Code into movements the hexapod can recognise.
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby wolverine » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:50 pm

ok thanks I'll try to read more about the topic :)
wolverine

Postby c.mieville » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:14 am

"Penny Sistine Chapel "idea:
1. Take 20 Hexapod Robots w/router attachments and attach magnetic clamps on end of feet .
2. Buy buckets of magnetic paint and see-through paint
3. Buy an abandoned parking-lot or warehouse. make sure it's thick concrete or stone.
4. Purchase/Borrow a 3-D scanner (ex: http://www.4ddynamics.com/3d-scanners/mephisto-ex/)
5.Scan Building
6. CAD outlay where you want art inserted
7. Spray 3 layers of magnetic paint.
8. Have Bots climb to ceiling using magnets.
9. The robots descent in the clockwise circle , carving the art into the rock-face and removing the access paint (like peeling an apple). walk away...
10. spray lacquer or clear preservative over new art-work.
11. resale the now one-of a kind work of art for tons of cash.

Let me know if you guys ever get publicly traded, Architects are going to love this.
c.mieville

Postby hawhaw » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:42 pm

where can I get these ball socket feet?
hawhaw

Postby Matt Denton » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:32 pm

hawhaw wrote:where can I get these ball socket feet?

They were custom made.
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Projects