p.Brain Standard Motherboard

p.Brain Standard Mother Board

p.Brain Standard Motherboard

Postby Matt Denton » Wed May 21, 2008 12:59 pm

The p.Brain controller requires a motherboard, which can be customized to fit the desired robot project, however, I am also designing a standard motherboard which will give access to the all of the p.Brain IO features.

The SMB currently has the following features:

1) Servo Power Polyswitch Fused Input (VS)
2) Separate Logic Power Input (VL)
3) LDO 5V Regulator for Logic Power
4) Regulator feed selectable from either VS or VL
5) RJ11 4/4 RS232 connector
6) MPLAB RJ11 6/6 Programming connector
7) All 24 PWM channels routed to edge of PSB
8) p.Brain I/O connectors
9) VS LED indicator
10) Socket for Parani ESD200 Bluetooth module
11) Bluetooth LED indicator
12) 2.7" x 2.0" Fixing holes
13) 3" x 2.3" PCB dimensions

Any comments suggestions welcome.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Re: p.Brain Standard Motherboard

Postby paulp » Fri May 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Almost the same dimensions as my existing board. And good looking to boot....

Hope its that nice red colour, green boards look insipid, or is this taking esthetics too far.
paulp

Postby Matt Denton » Mon May 26, 2008 9:03 am

paulp wrote:Almost the same dimensions as my existing board. And good looking to boot....

Hope its that nice red colour, green boards look insipid, or is this taking esthetics too far.

Actually I agree,

My V1.0 and 2.0 pBrain designs were in red, and I will keep it that way! :)
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby robotguy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:57 pm

Matt Denton wrote:The p.Brain controller requires a motherboard, which can be customized to fit the desired robot project, however, I am also designing a standard motherboard which will give access to the all of the p.Brain IO features.

Oh, wow! I really like the modular nature of this SMB and the p-Brain, Matt. This is exactly the type of thing I have been looking for. With different programming, the p-Brain/SMB could be used to control any type of robot, including rovers and bipeds.

I already work with PICs and dsPICs, so I can see some really nice possibilities here. I love modular products that can be custom programmed by users! If I were to be able to get my dream off the ground (my own robotics company), I would definitely want this as one of my products.

8-Dale
robotguy

Postby Matt Denton » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:43 pm

robotguy wrote:Oh, wow! I really like the modular nature of this SMB and the p-Brain, Matt. This is exactly the type of thing I have been looking for. With different programming, the p-Brain/SMB could be used to control any type of robot, including rovers and bipeds.

I already work with PICs and dsPICs, so I can see some really nice possibilities here. I love modular products that can be custom programmed by users! If I were to be able to get my dream off the ground (my own robotics company), I would definitely want this as one of my products.

8-Dale

Great! glad you like the design, please tell anybody else who may be interested in the p.Brain system, the more feedback I get the better. Good luck with the robotics company.. if you get it started let me know, I may have a few business ideas :)
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Shadyman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:30 am

Hi!

What kind of serial data does the bluetooth adapter take? How about a 1x2 header for Infrared? I know there are various Palm Pilot programs for controlling things via Infrared, and you could also have an IR tower on your computer. I know it's not quite as sophisticated as Bluetooth, but an IR LED , some wire to mount it off-board somewhere, and a plug would cost all of a dollar or two to whip up.

Just my two cents.
[first post!]
Shadyman

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:46 am

Shadyman wrote:Hi!

What kind of serial data does the bluetooth adapter take? How about a 1x2 header for Infrared? I know there are various Palm Pilot programs for controlling things via Infrared, and you could also have an IR tower on your computer. I know it's not quite as sophisticated as Bluetooth, but an IR LED , some wire to mount it off-board somewhere, and a plug would cost all of a dollar or two to whip up.

Just my two cents.
[first post!]

There is a 2x5 pin header on the p.Brian-SMB which gives access to 3.3V, 5.0V, GND, and two serial ports. The idea is that the user can control the p.Brain however they wish, so a IRDA hack that plugs into this socket should be possible?
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:22 pm

Just got the first p.Brain-SMB built:

More details here: p.Brain-ds24 thread
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Matt Denton » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:40 pm

Quick question...

I'm thinking about not fitting CN22 which is the RJ11 6/6 connector that is used by MPLAB's ICD2 programmer/debugger. The reason for this is that not everyone will want to develop on the SMB board, plus with CN22 fitted, it is trickier, although not impossible to fit the sockets that are used for the optional bluetooth module.

So how do people feel if CN22 is supplied but not fitted? This means a small amount of soldering would be required to mount CN22 and/or the sockets for the bluetooth module?
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby paulp » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:53 pm

Not a problem from my point of view. I would like to have a go at programming it myself, but currently its the hex-engine I'm interested in.
paulp

Next

Return to p.Brain-SMB