p.Brain Boot Loader Tool

p.Brain Boot Loader Tools

p.Brain Boot Loader Tool

Postby Matt Denton » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:30 am

When designing the bootloader for the p.Brain modules, I used MicroSockets PICBoot Tools for Microchip 24H/33F microcontrollers. In order to update or load new firmware you will require this tool which can be downloaded for free here:

PICBoot Tools for Microchip 24H/33F microcontrollers

PICBoot tool configuration:
Under the Configure Tab:
Port: (The serial port you will be using, e.g. COM1)
BaudRate: 38400

Under the Program Tab:
Processor: dsPIC33FJ128
Boot Loader Address: 000400
Source File: (Select the firmware file from your local hard drive)

PICBoot tool connection:
1) Have your p.Brain-ds24, plugged into your p.Brain-SMB and the logic supply (VL) power off.
2) Connect your serial cable from the p.Brain-SMB RJ11 4/4 connector to your selected PC COM Port.
3) Go to the Configure tab, press the "Init Port" button to open the COM port. If the port opens successfully, a message is displayed next to the "Init Port" button such as "Port 1 is open". The "Init Port" button will also close the port if it is already opened.
4) Once the port is successfully opened, click the "Connect" button in the "Configure" tab. " The area next to the "Connect" button should display "Cycle power to the target board...". The PICBoot tool will search for a connected p.Brain-ds24 for approximately 7 seconds.
5) Switch on the p.Brain-SMB logic power.
6) The PICBoot should now be connected to the p.Brain-ds24, the progress bar area next to the "Connect" button should display "Idle"

PICBoot tool Firmware Download:
1) Setup PICBoot comunication settings & firmware file
2) Connect to the p.Brain-ds24
3) Go to the "Program" tab and press the "Program" button. The progress bar should start to increment. Programming takes approximately 60 seconds.
4) Once programmed, power cycle the p.Brain-ds24 to start the new code.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Re: p.Brain Boot Loader Tool

Postby paulp » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi Matt

No idea if this forum is still active but here goes

After years of sitting in the loft, I have pulled the p.Brain out of its container and tried to power up.

It has been so long since I used it that I have no idea what state it was left in.

I think, though not certain, I left it without firmware so I need to upload the latest version to it...

I have all the links and cables but PICBoot does not work on 64 bit PC and I have nothing else around to try it on, Is there a 64 bit version you are aware of? is there an alternative way of getting the code on?

I know its been forever but any assistance would be welcome

Regards

Paul
paulp

Postby paulp » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:03 pm

Hi Matt

No idea if this forum is still active but here goes

After years of sitting in the loft, I have pulled the p.Brain out of its container and tried to power up.

It has been so long since I used it that I have no idea what state it was left in.

I think, though not certain, I left it without firmware so I need to upload the latest version to it...

I have all the links and cables but PICBoot does not work on 64 bit PC and I have nothing else around to try it on, Is there a 64 bit version you are aware of? is there an alternative way of getting the code on?

I know its been forever but any assistance would be welcome

Regards

Paul
paulp

Postby Matt Denton » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi Paul,

It has been a long time. The forum is closed really, but I keep it here for information purposes.

I didn't realise the Bootloader software only worked on 32bit machines, and unfortunately I didn't write it, so can't updated it.

Looks like the Mikrosockets website has had a major overhaul, and I can't see the old firmware loader there anymore.

The only thing I can think is to install VirtualBox and install XP within that. I know that works as I had that setup in the past.

Matt.
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Matt Denton » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi Paul,

It has been a long time. The forum is closed really, but I keep it here for information purposes.

I didn't realise the Bootloader software only worked on 32bit machines, and unfortunately I didn't write it, so can't updated it.

Looks like the Mikrosockets website has had a major overhaul, and I can't see the old firmware loader there anymore.

The only thing I can think is to install VirtualBox and install XP within that. I know that works as I had that setup in the past.

Matt.
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby paulp » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi matt

Thanks for the quick reply

I will try what you suggest. I did try powering up my old pc but strange smells of burning dust didn't inspire confidence

Thanks again

Paul
paulp

Return to p.Brain-BootLoader