Micro Hexapod Kit: MSR-µBug

Hexapod Robots

Re: Micro Hexapod Kit: MSR-µBug

Postby imagineering » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:20 pm

glenjoy wrote:
What were the difference in dimensions of the HXT and Hitec servo? Thank you.

Just 1.5mm Wider and 0.5mm Taller. Matt has his design absolutely spot on to suit the Servos he has specified.
After playing around with the uBug & HXT900s, I honestly think that anyone thinking of building one, should stick to Matt's original design & specs.
I wasted a bit of time milling out the original Coxa Brackets & then found there was not enough material left for the Hex Spacers.
Luckily I have CAD skills and access to a Laser Cutter, but spent considerable time, money & travel to modify the design & go get it cut.
However, it's all a learning process I guess.

MurrayMcK.
imagineering

Postby Ginfu » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey here are some steps Outdoors with my hex

First Steps Outdoors
Ginfu

Postby blegas78 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Finally have mine ordered, should be fun assembling someone else's hard work for once!

I'll see what I can design with a pan/tilt head mechanism... hmm...

Can't wait! :)
blegas78

Postby blegas78 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:00 am

I got my kit yesterday! Since I haven't seen any unboxing/assembly pics, here you go:

blegas78

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:01 am

Nice work Matt! Looks great next to your own beast :)

Are you still going to add a tilt axis to the head? Any thoughts? You could always use the body tilt as I have done in the past when blob tracking with the µBug. Alternatively the simplest thing would be to use servo tape to attach another servo to the front of the pan head.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby blegas78 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks! I must say that you made the kit too simple to assemble. I was hoping to have to force things together, strip some screws, re-drill holes, etc. Nope, everything goes together perfectly smoothly, and got it walking in no time at all.

Kidding of course, I love the kit, especially since it goes together so well! Excellent job! I'm happy to have one of your hexapods, especially the µBug since it is what sparked my interests in hexapods again after stumbling across this forum. I have always loved the way Hexengine plans foot movement from watching videos on youtube but it sure is nice to see it in person. My girlfriend actually likes the µBug more than my design because it is much cuter rather than big and mean looking . :)

I haven't given too much thought with regard to head tilt as I've had to focus a bit on homework and I've only had the kit for two days. I have built one of my hexapods without any head assembly and just used body tilt to position the camera, but the animatronic head sure makes a big difference in liveliness. I'm thinking that I will just attach the servo in front just for the sake of simplicity.

Here's some shots of the hexapod with CM-iAM. Sure is a great fit, but I do need to remember room for batteries:

blegas78

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:56 pm

What can I say, your girlfriend has good taste ;).

The CM-iAM Looks like a very snug fit, I presume that is the heat sink on the top we are looking at? any ISO views?

What power source does the CM-iAM need, will it run from the same battery as the servos, or maybe a lipo with dc-dc converter down to 5V. The servos draw very little current, so shouldn't cause much interference/power dip issues.

*EDIT* The first time I viewed the post there was no ISO view :?
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby blegas78 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:30 pm

I actually can't see any of the three images in my last post, I guess imageshack.us is having some server trouble right now...

I have a couple of 2Ah Li-ion batteries sitting around that *may* be able to fit inside the body with the Hexengine, but that's a really tight fit...

the CM-iAM requires 5V, at about 5W (so 1A), but I'm not completely sure how clean it needs to be. Since I have to design a daughter board for the CM-iAM anyway, I can throw on any dc-dc converter board. Do you have any recommendations or experience with any? How about a switch-mode regulator?
blegas78

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Yeah, the images keep disappearing, then re-appearing :?:

Well I have used Turnigy 8-15 UBEC's and I would say for your purposes one of these 3A devices would do the job. The servos shouldn't draw much more than a couple of amps, with your CM-iAM at 1 amp, A 3 amp dc-dc with 5 amp peak should do fine, and they are pretty darn cheap!

I would be tempted to throw the dc-dc in the body, and get a small lipo mounted above the CM-iAM for easy access.
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Noodle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:10 pm

I haven't been around for quite some time now, but it's very exciting to see you're selling uBug's now! :)

In other news, I've developed a dynamic gait engine with 3d balancing and tested in a simulator, so I think I've finally worked out most of the math. Hopefully soon I'll be able to pick up a uBug and start trying it out!
Making robots from a school students wage :(
Noodle

PreviousNext

Return to Hexapods