Custom 4DOF Hexapod For Sale

Hexapod Robots

Custom 4DOF Hexapod For Sale

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi, I'm thinking of selling one of my custom built hexapods, however, if it doesn't sell I will strip it down and sell off the servos :(.. read on for more details.

Picture of the Hexapod Next to a 300mm Ruler.

This is the largest RC servo hexapod I have built so far, and had a 4 DOF leg design, with all the leg and body parts designed by myself using T6 grade aluminium and cut on my CNC router. The upper and lower body plates are 4mm thick, the leg plates are 2mm thick. The hexapod uses 24 dynamixel servos arranged in the following manner:

Coxa: RX-10
Femur: RX-28
Tibia: RX-10
Metatarsus: RX-10

Each of the legs is cabled back to a central power and signal distribution PCB. The hexapod was built towards the end of 2009, and was used as a test platform for my 4-DOF algorithms and to test some foot sensors I was working on. All electronics for the hexapod have been removed. The hexapod worked fairly well, however, although the dynamixel servos have plenty of torque, I found their resolution of 1024 steps to be somewhat limiting for my tests, and after about 5 to 8 hours of use over several months the hexapod has been collecting dust. All servos are in good working order.

The Foot design consists of a 8mm ball and custom machined delrin socket foot attached to a dynamixel bracket. The foot has an adhesive foam pad on the bottom.

I thought I would see if anyone is interested in the platform before I break it down and sell the servos individually, as it seems a shame to waste all this engineering! Maybe you know a university or research institute that might be interested :?: Feel free to pass on these details.

If your interested in purchasing the hex, PM me with a sensible offer, bare in mind that the servos alone would cost in excess of £2500 GBP :shock:
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Return to Hexapods