Better late than never

Hexapod Robots

Re: Better late than never

Postby RayRenteria » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:56 am

Matt,

Just wanted to let you know I'm still moving forward with DAR-1. I took him out into public for the first time a couple of weeks ago at a local Robotics and Animatronics meetup and he was a hit. I'm being invited to participate in a fairly popular conference called SXSW Interactive (South by Southwest Interactive) and I plan on building a full exhibit for him. I'm adding more behaviors to let him interact more naturally with the crowd. He'll be looking for "interesting stuff" to track and will respond to people calling for him.

Considering the warm reception he got at the meetup, it's time to re-architect his entire system and introduce a hierarchy of behaviors. He only has one behavior at the moment and it's not really enough to suspend disbelief.

Crunch time. I'll share video and more details soon.

--Ray
RayRenteria

Postby Matt Denton » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:40 am

Hi Ray,

That's great! I'm glad he is getting the reception he deserves :) I was always amazed by how people regarded iC when ever I took him to events, especially children, they want to believe there is more going on than actually is! :)
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby RayRenteria » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:14 pm

Matt,

Just wanted to keep you posted: The SXSW Interactive event is happening but also wanted to share that Richard Fisher, deputy editor of BBC Future, is going to be leading a chat there and he asked DAR-1 and me to participate. I just met with him (I'm here in London today) and I suggested that he should speak with you about your projects.

Thanks for your support, man.

--Ray
RayRenteria

Postby Matt Denton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:32 pm

HI Ray, that's great! I hadn't realised SXSW was in the UK :?

So when are you exhibiting, Is it 13th to 17th March? Were you just in the UK today? When you're back for the exhibit I should come along and meet up or something.

Matt
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Matt Denton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:34 pm

Hang on, isn't SXSW in the US? Confused....
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby RayRenteria » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:06 pm

LOL!

SXSW is in Austin, Texas, USA. I will be exhibiting DAR-1 in the Robot Petting Zoo on Sunday the 15th - Tuesday the 17th.

On Sunday morning, the 15th, Richard Fisher (BBC Richard) will be driving a conversation about:
when it’s ‘not ok’ to harm a robot – so, on the spectrum between a machine like a toaster and a human-like android where is the line where it starts to make us uncomfortable because it’s like a living thing. I think the question speaks to interesting things about what makes us human, and what triggers our emotions. --Richard Fisher, email to me

He saw DAR-1's video and invited him (and me by extension :)) to be involved in the meeting. I met with him today to give him a chance to change his mind. :D

I arrived in London yesterday at 2 and I leave tomorrow morning.

I'd really enjoy meeting up again. I'll let you know when I'll be in the UK.

--Ray
RayRenteria

Postby Matt Denton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:29 pm

Well that's cleared that up :)

Hope it goes well, keep me posted!
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby RayRenteria » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:39 am

Matt,

Wish you were here, man.

I've been at SXSW Interactive for two days now and DAR-1 is a hit! I got coverage in The Guardian here:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... rture-sxsw

And in CBC News, a Canadian pub (he makes an appearance in the video):
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/sxsw- ... -1.2996378

CNN also came by today as did local and other media. Of course, I was part of Richard Fisher's BBC chat -- that's where The Guardian got their material (though I more overtly credited Matt Denton as "the Michael Angelo of hexapod inverse kinematics" during my spiel it didn't get put into The Guardian piece).

DAR-1 has been demonstrating himself for the last two days, eight hours at a whack without having to reboot, rest, or anything. Thank you for all your support and for making such an awesome platform on which I could build this application. I think the social robot application has a product future. I'll keep you posted.

--Ray
RayRenteria

Postby RayRenteria » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:44 am

Matt,

Another thing.. It's important to me that I credit you and your Inverse Kinematics wizardry, so I've been doing that through the entire event--hundreds of times, actually, but I'm disappointed not to see mention in the press about it. I've been going back and adding that in the comments sections of these write-ups (including the Guardian piece). The omission might stem from some follow-up comments I've made about not being sure whether you're selling the technology anymore.

I have one more full day at this event and I suspect it's going to be as busy as ever. DAR-1 is positioned as a showcase of low-cost computing technologies (Hexengine, Raspberry Pi) and open source computer vision (OpenCV) software that allowed me to build the social robot experience. The low-cost / open source technologies are what foster the kind of innovation shown throughout the SXSW Robot Zoo.

Let me know what message you'd like me to convey about the Hexengine. The Raspberry Pi is getting too much credit.

--Ray
RayRenteria

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:56 am

Hi Ray,

That's great your getting such good feedback and interest in DAR-1. It's really interesting to see much of the comments and reviews are very similar to what I was seeing when showing iC, this whole thing of people portraying their emotions on to the robot... I wouldn't worry too much about promoting HexEngine etc, as I no longer sell the product, but maybe a shout out to the predecessor of DAR-1, iC Hexapod would be nice. It's really cool to see how iC was using a power full intel based processor effectively a cut down PC in 2006, and now we have a £30 computer on the back of DAR-1 capable of the same thing.. this was always a dream for iC, go mobile, and interact!! :D

great work!
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Hexapods