Face Tracking with OpenCV and Raspberry Pi 3

Hexapod Robots

Face Tracking with OpenCV and Raspberry Pi 3

Postby plingboot » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:21 pm

He's the first post of a Face Detection build using a Raspberry Pi 3 and rPi Camera v2 module.

I'll be building on Ray Renteria's work with his hexapod.

The goal is to have Face Detection and eventually Face Recognition working on both the MSR-H01 and MSR-µBug Hexapods.

First stage is to configure the rPi and get OpenCV/Face Detection up and running.

Second stage is to get the rPi talking to the hexapod - firstly with the camera pan/tilt following faces and then with the whole hexapod moving to follow faces

Since Ray's build the newer rPi 3 has bluetooth and wifi built-in, so the shopping list it pretty short.

• Raspberry Pi 3 Model B with PiBow Coupé case £40
• 6mm heatsink £1
• Raspberry Pi Camera v2.1 with mount £29
• 16Gb MicroSD Card and Card Reader

• HDMI monitor/TV and cable - I'm using a Ready Made RC FPV monitor with HDMI input, powered by a 3cell Turnigy Lipo.
• USB Keyboard and Mouse

The coupé case is a useful way of protecting the Pi 3 board during set-up while allowing access to the various connections. It will not be required once the Pi is mounted on the hexa.

Everything is connected as shown below.

First thing to do is prepare the MicroSD card with a disk image of the Raspbian Jessie OS.

I followed this tutorial using the SDFormatter app here to erase and format the card.

You only need a monitor, mouse and keyboard for first set-up. Once you’ve configured and connected to a wifi network and enabled SSH here and here you can work on the Pi remotely from your Mac/PC desktop.

Installing OpenCV. I found this tutorial for the installation which seems pretty thorough.

I’m waiting for OpenCV to compile at the moment, so more later…

---------
Sheriff of Nothing
plingboot

Re: Face Tracking with OpenCV and Raspberry Pi 3

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Cool!

Any progress?
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby plingboot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 am

Not much activity here as work's been very busy, but the project is still ticking away and I'm about ready to try some tests over I2C.

Quick confirmation question about connecting to the SMB…

Looking at the SMB manual, I'll to connect rPi to SDA and SCL on CN17. Do I need to connect up a GND too and most importantly is there any risk of damaging the SMB?
Sheriff of Nothing
plingboot

Postby Matt Denton » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 am

Well you will always need a common ground, weather your using serial or I2C, but if you're running the Pi of the same power source as the SMB then you will already have a shared ground.

Why are you using I2C rather than serial?
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby plingboot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:09 am

Matt Denton wrote:Why are you using I2C rather than serial?

Electronic ignorance would be the honest answer to that.
With no formal education in electronics or programming my learning curve is almost always vertical.
Enthusiasm for it means I usually pick stuff up reasonably quickly, but I sometimes need assistance in the first instance… which is why the PIP stuff isn't making much sense to me at the moment.
Sheriff of Nothing
plingboot

Return to Hexapods