A-pod, an ant inspired hexapod

Hexapod Robots

A-pod, an ant inspired hexapod

Postby Zenta » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:30 pm

Hi,

Lately I've been working with a new hexapod. This is my third hexapod project. And this time I wanted to make something very different.

I've always been inspired by insects and especially ants, check out Alexander Wild Photography of ants and you'll see what I mean.

I've not tried to copy any ant, I think that would be almost impossible with the large legs compared to the body. I also wanted to use 645 servos for the coxa, femur and tibia. But I wanted A-pod to have the following:

A large and a very flexible head, ideal 3 DOF
    Large mandible that can grab around a bottle/can
    A thorax, the main body with a natural shape for all legs and main battery
    A 2 DOF controlled Abdomen (a tail, gaster) holding all electronics

So far I'm done with the coxa, femur, tiba, mandible, head and body parts. I've not made the abdomen yet, soon to be made :wink:

This time I've choosed a very different coxa design, I know it has some cons. I wanted to place the femur servo joint very low and also increase the horisontal distance between the coxa and femur joint. Making this distance to large have also some cons but I think this are going to work ok. Here are some pics of the coxa design:

The coxa are made of three parts:

Completely mounted with the femur servo:

Here are the femur and tibia parts. I've used the same material I used for my original Phoenix, ABS texture plastic 5mm.

I've no pictures of only the head/mandible section yet, but I think you'll get the picture of how I designed it using black SES brackets and some custom made plastic parts. I'm going to add some rubber to the inside of the mandibles to make it easier to grab and hold objects.

Here are some pictures of the body with mounted head and legs. I placed the black dummy dome just for making it a bit easier to imagine how it would look like with the abdomen.

The last pictures demonstrates how flexible the head are going to be.
Pardon the messy wires. But I've a lot of work left :wink:

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,

Zenta
Zenta

Re: A-pod, an ant inspired hexapod

Postby Noodle » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:23 pm

Really excellent work, can't wait to see a vid of it in action! Where/how do you do your photoshoots, they're really good! Also, tested a payload?

I'm the guy who asked you the same thing when I saw the video of Phoenix lifting 2.5kg on youtube :P
Making robots from a school students wage :(
Noodle

Postby Zenta » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:55 pm

Noodle wrote:Really excellent work, can't wait to see a vid of it in action! Where/how do you do your photoshoots, they're really good! Also, tested a payload?

I'm the guy who asked you the same thing when I saw the video of Phoenix lifting 2.5kg on youtube :P

Thanks!
I do my photoshoots at home using a DSLR with two old manual flashes (OM T-32), a white umbrella whit one of the flash, background using a white roller-curtain (is that the right word :? ), a reflector on the other side and shooting the other flash up to the ceiling.

I've not done any payload tests so far...
But A-pod are going to weight alot more than Phoenix, I'm guessing the total weight would be around 2,7 kg included this battery for powering:

Regards,

Zenta
Zenta

Postby Matt Denton » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:50 pm

Great work Zenta!

Look forward to seeing it on the move :) Also loving Alaxanders macro photography.. Always found this kind of stuff inspirational.

I presume you have seen the ant based hex these guys did: http://biorobots.cwru.edu/ ?
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Zenta » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:40 am

Matt Denton wrote:Great work Zenta!

Look forward to seeing it on the move :) Also loving Alaxanders macro photography.. Always found this kind of stuff inspirational.

I presume you have seen the ant based hex these guys did: http://biorobots.cwru.edu/ ?

Thanks Matt!

I'm guessing you are thinking about the BILL-Ant?
Yes I've seen it before and it seems like a great project. Very good documentation too. They are using servos called MPI MX-450HP, I've never heard of them. The servos are rated at 8.37 kg/cm torque, and thats good to know since I'm using the 645's.

I do have some work left before we can se it walk though :roll:
Zenta

Postby Noodle » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:32 pm

What about standing? :D
Making robots from a school students wage :(
Noodle

Postby BillB » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Well done Zenta - another masterful creation of yours.
Keep us posted of your progress.

I can't believe this is already your third hexapod - you have been busy. I am still trying to finish my first hexapod.
BillB

Postby kultakala » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi Zenta,

Great Design !!!

I have one question regarding the servos on the first image.
The servo horns are not the original ones... did you make them by yourself or did you buy them ?
And if... where did u get them from ?

I am asking because i plan to use metal servo horns on my HS-645MG and i could only find the ones sold by lynxmotion... and they look different to yours.
kultakala

Postby Zenta » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks BillB!

kultakala wrote:Hi Zenta,

Great Design !!!

I have one question regarding the servos on the first image.
The servo horns are not the original ones... did you make them by yourself or did you buy them ?
And if... where did u get them from ?

I am asking because i plan to use metal servo horns on my HS-645MG and i could only find the ones sold by lynxmotion... and they look different to yours.

Thanks Kultakala!
I didn't make the servo horns I got them from Lynxmotion ;)
I know they doesn't look like the one on the picture (HMSH-02) but these was the one I got. The untapped holes are about 2,4 mm.
Zenta

Postby kultakala » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:26 pm

Okay, then i am anxious on how my lynxmotion servo horns will look like :)
kultakala

Next

Return to Hexapods