A-pod, an ant inspired hexapod

Hexapod Robots

Re: A-pod, an ant inspired hexapod

Postby pem » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:47 pm

A kit (including a sensor) for the MSR-H01 would surely be a hit, and a high-level PIP-interface would also be nice.
pem

Postby Zenta » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:08 pm

Noodle wrote:Zenta, that's amazing. The head tracking mandibles look so lifelike! Are those coke cans full?

Thanks, yes the coke can are full. A-pod are able to lift cans up to 0,5 liter (about 500 - 600 gram).

-Zenta
Zenta

Postby beez » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:51 pm

Zenta,
this is TOTALLY AWESOME!

Will you consider selling kits or plans so others can follow in your extra large footsteps? :D

Thanks!
Beez
beez

Postby Matt Denton » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:13 am

Zenta wrote:Thanks, yes the coke can are full. A-pod are able to lift cans up to 0,5 liter (about 500 - 600 gram).

Hi Zenta,

500 grams! that's pretty impressive, I'm amazed you wouldn't get a bit of tipping when lifting either of the front two legs and holding 0.5Kg that far out in front of the hex. Have you tried that yet? I guess you could translate the body back to help, or lift the head higher to bring the weight back towards the fulcrum?
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Apology

Postby beez » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:49 pm

Please excuse my mistake in asking for an a-pod kit. :oops: Sorry Matt!
Beez
beez

Postby Zenta » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi Matt,

This is very possible because of the abdomen. The COG are placed 1,5 cm behind the center of body, so when A-Pod holds a 0.33 liter can the COG are placed 0,5 cm in front of the center of body. Doing some translations do help when lifting the legs, but its not necessary.

-Zenta

Matt Denton wrote:Hi Zenta,

500 grams! that's pretty impressive, I'm amazed you wouldn't get a bit of tipping when lifting either of the front two legs and holding 0.5Kg that far out in front of the hex. Have you tried that yet? I guess you could translate the body back to help, or lift the head higher to bring the weight back towards the fulcrum?
Zenta

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Ok, I didn't realize there was so much weight in the abdomen.. :) I kind of assumed that the abdomen weighed about the same as the head with no load.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby aidifla » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi,
I have been interested in hexapod robots for a few years and this is the most impressive i've seen. The movement is so life like. I would like to have a go at finally building one. With regards to the servos, you use the Hitec 645 and not the 996 for most of the servos and you meantion they are not as good as the Hitec servos, but how bad are they? Do they move with glitches/steps, are they noisy, electrically or to the ear :), please advise what you think, the hitec servos are more than twice the price!!
If i build a hexapod with all 996's, will i be disappointed?

Thanks,
aidifla
aidifla

Postby HansWerner » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:00 pm

Dear Zenta,

I´ve seen the video on youtube and read the discussion here in the forum.
Because you are improving the movement of the legs and you are stated that the legs of the A-pod are shorter compared to real ants:
Do you think that will be a problem and will slow the movement (walking) of the A-pod down ?
Have you studied the walk of real ants maybe in slow motion ?
I hope you don`t change your mind and start with a new project.
I like the main concept of an ant like robot.
I would like to see climbing the A-pod above obstacles and maybe autonomous collecting can`s.
HansWerner

Postby Zenta » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:32 am

aidifla wrote:With regards to the servos, you use the Hitec 645 and not the 996 for most of the servos and you meantion they are not as good as the Hitec servos, but how bad are they? Do they move with glitches/steps, are they noisy, electrically or to the ear :), please advise what you think, the hitec servos are more than twice the price!!
If i build a hexapod with all 996's, will i be disappointed?

Hi,

The towerpro servos has been discussed very many times in different forums. Do a search and you'll find alot of info. The MG996R are digital and a bit stronger than the Hitec 645. But thats the only positive thing I can come up with ;) When it comes to servos you very often get what you pay for. There are several people that have used the towepros on hexapods so they will do the job but the performance are not good. They have bad lineraity and tends to overshoot 2 - 3 degrees. The MG996R are a bit better than the MG995 though, but not much.

I've bought a lot of cheap servos in the years and my experience is that it was a total waste of money :evil: .

-Zenta
Zenta

PreviousNext

Return to Hexapods