Hexapod V4

Hexapod Robots

Hexapod V4

Postby Matt Denton » Wed May 21, 2008 10:13 pm

This was the hexapod that I built while working on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban during 2003. This hexapod was very different in design to previous version, predominantly due to that fact that it had to be put in a foam latex skin to look like a creature of some kind, but also because it was using larger servos and had force contact sensors built into each tibia.

Hexapod V4 Video demonstrating terrain adaptation

A second video of Hexapod V4 in action during a visit to Weta FX in New Zealand

Servos
Futaba 3002/9206/9550

Developed for a background character in the film "Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban", this hexapod took our V3 design to a new level.

With larger more powerful servos, and force sensors in the feet we were able to add terrain adaptation in to the locomotion engine. The hexapod was then covered in a latex skin and made to look like a six legged turtle.

This creature was used in the background of Hagrid's hut, but barely made it to the final cut of the film. However, it was re-skined, the shell removed, and used in the back of Mad Eye Moody's classroom in the latest Harry Potter film "Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire".

We were at one point developing an even larger scale hexapod to play the part of the Blast Ended Skrewt's in the Goblet of Fire. This hexapod would have been about the size of a coffee table. Fully electric and utilising linear actuators. Unfortunately they were cut from the film entirely, and so development ended.

Tech Stuff

Servos: Futaba 3002/9206/9550
Battery: NiMh 4.8V 4000mah
Servo Driver: 2 X Rx1650
CPU: PC Pentium MMX 266 (Off Board)
Radio Link: 2.4ghz SS
Weight: Aprox 3Kg
Contact Sensors: Honeywell Force Sensors
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Re: Hexapod V4

Postby innerbreed » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi matt. iv always love this one especilly with the skin and shell.

could you supply more info on the process of making the skin. whats the best way tp make the skin fit over the robot and how is this done. how can you make the skin look seamless?
thanks J
innerbreed

Postby Matt Denton » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:21 pm

Blimey! where did you dig that image up from??

The skin and shell were done by my animatronic colleagues, and to be honest is well out of my skill set. However, to get the legs on they are sliced down the middle, and then re-stuck together, trimmed and dressed in, then painted to hide the seam.. I think :)
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby innerbreed » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:59 am

screen capture from video. ;)
sound like the right process to take. i will look into it. always wanted to work in animatronics.
innerbreed

Return to Hexapods