Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Hexapod Robots

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby Matt Denton » Fri May 30, 2008 4:22 pm

So the I took some more meat out of the top plate to allow cables to pass through:

So there isn't masses of top plate left, however It could look more like this:

Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby paulp » Fri May 30, 2008 7:52 pm

I never realised how small and compact the V4b is. I was comparing the figures you gave and mine is comparable to the V5

After looking closely I can see where you would have difficulties with the 3mm aluminium. I've never worked with it as a material so I'm not sure what its rigidity is like..

What would be the cost implications of a 5mm chassis or is there more involved than just the cost..
paulp

Postby Coilgunpower » Sat May 31, 2008 5:12 am

Matt Denton wrote: That's why this forum is invaluable to find out what people would sacrifice to save costs etc.. For example, people have expressed they would prefer the top plate to be more of a frame work such as the V4b design, however, the more holes there are.. the more machine time.. the higher the cost.

I vote cost over holes. I really want an affordable platform to build my own hexapod on. Please try to keep the cost less then the Crust Crawler. Your hexapod is much smaller, but you have more servos. I don't have that much to spend on this but I would really love to make one. ;)

Thanks,
Justin
Coilgunpower

Postby paulp » Sat May 31, 2008 12:47 pm

I think what Matt is proposing is in a different league altogether than the hexcrawler.
Dont get me wrong, its a good product but it has so many limitations and I personally think it looks like a relic from the old 'Space 1999' series.

With any hexapod, the price is inflated by the servos. 6 x $20 and 12 x $40 means before you start you have $600 of hardware. And those are only 90 degree servos. The servos I'm using are 180 degree and retail at nearer $60 each.

The only way to really keep the price down is to go for cheaper servos which spoils the product.

It does depend on how Matt intends to sell the product but if it can be done then I would consider buying the hex kit first then build up my servo collection as and when I can afford them
paulp

Postby tom_chang79 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:48 pm

Matt, what a beautiful design this is! I've always held the V4b in high regards for its form and function! So micromagic is getting into the manufacturing of robotic kits? Sounds so exciting! Coupled with the pBrain, I think your hexapod will be one of the most powerful ones right out of the kit out there...

:)
tom_chang79

Postby Matt Denton » Sat May 31, 2008 6:54 pm

tom_chang79 wrote:Matt, what a beautiful design this is! I've always held the V4b in high regards for its form and function! So micromagic is getting into the manufacturing of robotic kits? Sounds so exciting! Coupled with the pBrain, I think your hexapod will be one of the most powerful ones right out of the kit out there...

:)

Hi Tom, Welcome to the forum, and good to see you here!

The more input I can get with the kit the better, so please pass on the word! ;)
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby plingboot » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:47 pm

hi matt,

i'm just in the process of finishing my phoenix hex, but would be intereseted in a MM Hex kit - buy british and all that. ;)

my comments for things i'd like to see in a kit.
- a version without servos - but including all other electronics and cables
- ability to power the hex with a single high capacity 7.4v lipoly pack
- ability to get it walking quickly - ie userfriendly software interface and included gaits (a mac osx option??)
- RC-like 'switch on and walk' using a PS2 type controller
- hop-ups including your video camera/face recognition kit

i'd be equally happy to see either ali or lexan components - but you should definitely offer an orange version.

these comments come from someone who collects robotic toys - but doesn't have time to spend weeks 'reinventing the wheel' to get them walking etc. ;)

cheers, ds
Sheriff of Nothing
plingboot

Postby Matt Denton » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi ds, and welcome to the forum.

plingboot wrote:hi matt,

my comments for things i'd like to see in a kit.
- a version without servos - but including all other electronics and cables
- ability to power the hex with a single high capacity 7.4v lipoly pack
- ability to get it walking quickly - ie userfriendly software interface and included gaits (a mac osx option??)
- RC-like 'switch on and walk' using a PS2 type controller
- hop-ups including your video camera/face recognition kit

cheers, ds

- I think I will be offering a kit only version, no servos/electronics.
- 7.4V LiPo shouldn't be a problem with a DC-DC step down converter.
- The p.Brain with hex engine should be reasonably easy to get up and running, terminal interface to set parameters, but I will supply default configuration for this hex, so the only thing needed should be servo calibration. The p.Brain-SMB board will have a slot for bluetooth connection, so any bluetooth serial link with appropriate application should be able to control the hexapod regardless of platform.
- RC-like control may be possible, via bluetooth.. needs looking into.
- hop-ups will be a future addition, although I'm not sure about the full face recognition system.
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby paulp » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:44 pm

Once established, I believe my earlier suggestion of a users contribution section would solve ds's requirements for Face detection etc.

There are several aspects of work I've already done that I intend to apply to the p.Brain when it is available and I for one would be willing to share any such extension I create.

One of these is implementing the XBox controller (which is far superior to the PS2 Controller) to currently run my Lexbot.
paulp

Postby Matt Denton » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:47 pm

paulp wrote:Once established, I believe my earlier suggestion of a users contribution section would solve ds's requirements for Face detection etc.

There are several aspects of work I've already done that I intend to apply to the p.Brain when it is available and I for one would be willing to share any such extension I create.

One of these is implementing the XBox controller (which is far superior to the PS2 Controller) to currently run my Lexbot.

I agree to all of the above.

Getting back to the issue of a more complex design, versus simpler / cheaper, how about this:

I keep this MSR-H01 design simple, with the top plate similar to my original design, fewer holes cheaper costs, in 3mm water-cut aluminium, which should satisfy the general aluminium hexapod market.

I could then produce smaller runs of a more complex design in thicker aluminium (say 4mm) which is CNC router cut to give a far superior finish. These "specials" if you like would be raw finished straight off the machine, and would require the user to hand de-burr them and anodise if required, which would give a finish similar to my existing hexapods V3, V4b & V5 etc.

Thoughts?
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Hexapods