Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Hexapod Robots

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:57 pm

plingboot wrote:hi matt,
the difference in time between jet and router cut is much more than i imagined - so i can see why there'd be a hit on price :shock:
I guess that there's also a finishing cost involved with jet cut parts though - rumbling/de-burring and maybe anodising too - which might narrow the price difference?

I'd still be interested to know what a routed set would cost. ;)


The rumbling process adds little cost to the parts, anodising is also insignificant compared to the machining costs, however, the router cut parts may also require anodising.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Winchester UK

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:56 pm

This is where the top body design is currently at:

1) Top hole has been increased in size to allow easier cabling and access.
2) Now including the 2mm lexan electronics cover as suggested by PaulP.

Image
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Winchester UK

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby robotguy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:01 pm

Matt Denton wrote:Any thoughts?

Of course. :D

I prefer design 2, because it allows for more options of mounting electronics. This would include mounting the p-Brain below the deck and other electronics above it. More options are good! :D Please offer it with and without servos. Are the p-Brain mounting holes compatible with stuff like the Lynxmotion boards?

I'm also involved in the design of a Hammer-RDP (Robotics Development Platform) for the TinCanTools Hammer Board (200 Mhz ARM9, 32 MB RAM/16 MB Flash). I have the complete Hammer Kit. The RDP will be compatible with the mounting holes of the Lynxmotion boards. We are getting very close to having prototype boards to tinker with.

8-Dale
robotguy
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 2:49 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR USA

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:15 pm

robotguy wrote:I prefer design 2, because it allows for more options of mounting electronics. This would include mounting the p-Brain below the deck and other electronics above it. More options are good! :D Please offer it with and without servos. Are the p-Brain mounting holes compatible with stuff like the Lynxmotion boards?


With and without servos.. yes.
Standard mounting holes.. yes.

robotguy wrote:I'm also involved in the design of a Hammer-RDP (Robotics Development Platform) for the TinCanTools Hammer Board (200 Mhz ARM9, 32 MB RAM/16 MB Flash). I have the complete Hammer Kit. The RDP will be compatible with the mounting holes of the Lynxmotion boards. We are getting very close to having prototype boards to tinker with.


Sounds interesting, I will check it out.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Winchester UK

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby MetalSkullRobotics » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:05 pm

Matt,

I have been sniffing around on your forum for like 3 days now. I really like your MSR-H01 design (especially the name, my "company" is called MSR (Metal Skull Robotics)). I'm planning on building a hexapod myself, already started designing and ordering parts.

The design looks like the concept of the MSR-H01. The only main difference is that the servo's in the rear two legs are facing the same direction as the other four. May I ask why you decided to rotate these 180degree?

Cheers Dennis
MetalSkullRobotics
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:19 pm
Location: Zoetermeer, the Netherlands

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby robotguy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:34 pm

plingboot wrote:these comments come from someone who collects robotic toys - but doesn't have time to spend weeks 'reinventing the wheel' to get them walking etc. ;)

If Matt releases some fully working SSC type software for the p-Brain, as I hope he does, then I think pretty much anything else you want to do could be added to that as modules, including the mainline code. I am at the point where I just want to have a platform I can write software for because I am better at that than mechanical stuff. However, I can assemble a kit and get it loaded with prebuilt software to get it up and running. I want to deal with things at a higher level and don't want to have to write PWM code and such. I already work with PICs and dsPICs, so the p-Brain is a nobrainer choice for me. :)

8-Dale
robotguy
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 2:49 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR USA

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby robotguy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:48 pm

Matt Denton wrote:I agree to all of the above.

Getting back to the issue of a more complex design, versus simpler / cheaper, how about this:

I keep this MSR-H01 design simple, with the top plate similar to my original design, fewer holes cheaper costs, in 3mm water-cut aluminium, which should satisfy the general aluminium hexapod market.

I think this would be very good, especially for those of us who are on fixed incomes. It would be even better if you offered kits for pairs of legs and then one for the chassis. :D This is more or less what Lynxmotion does, and why I have been considering building up a CH3-R or Phoenix. I like your designs better over all though.

Have you considered a round version of your Hexapods?

Matt Denton wrote:I could then produce smaller runs of a more complex design in thicker aluminium (say 4mm) which is CNC router cut to give a far superior finish. These "specials" if you like would be raw finished straight off the machine, and would require the user to hand de-burr them and anodise if required, which would give a finish similar to my existing hexapods V3, V4b & V5 etc.

Hmmmmm, interesting.. :D With this kind of thing, I could have the pretty blue hexapod I want. It would mean more work for me, but I think it would be worth it. How much would you estimate a kit like this would cost?

8-Dale
robotguy
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 2:49 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR USA

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:50 pm

robotguy wrote:If Matt releases some fully working SSC type software for the p-Brain, as I hope he does, then I think pretty much anything else you want to do could be added to that as modules, including the mainline code.


My plan was to post code examples in this forum, however, PaulP pointed out that I should release these under the GPL license, which I know nothing about.

8-Dale you seem to be a software guy, if you know the basic In's and outs of GPL, could you start a thread in the new Software/Discussions forum?
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Winchester UK

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby robotguy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:53 pm

Coilgunpower wrote:About the Phoenix hexapod... They sell the main body for $85 but they through a surprise at you when you need 6 sets of servo brackets that cost $12 for a total $156.65 without anything.

This is true, however it also makes it very easy to get the brackets a few at a time. I'm not so conserned about the overall cost as long as I get something that just works when I fill it with servos and activate the controller. I'm much more a software guy and sensor experimenter, so this approach to getting what I want works well for me. Lynxmotion has a great approach to selling their stuff - every part of every kit is available separately also.

8-Dale
robotguy
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 2:49 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR USA

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:54 pm

robotguy wrote:Have you considered a round version of your Hexapods?


Yes, but very low on the priority list.

robotguy wrote:
Matt Denton wrote:I could then produce smaller runs of a more complex design in thicker aluminium (say 4mm) which is CNC router cut to give a far superior finish. These "specials" if you like would be raw finished straight off the machine, and would require the user to hand de-burr them and anodise if required, which would give a finish similar to my existing hexapods V3, V4b & V5 etc.

Hmmmmm, interesting.. :D With this kind of thing, I could have the pretty blue hexapod I want. It would mean more work for me, but I think it would be worth it. How much would you estimate a kit like this would cost?


Really not sure, but if you look at my post explaining the difference in machine time, it will be a fair bit more, probably a factor of three!
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Winchester UK

PreviousNext

Return to Hexapods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron