Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Hexapod Robots

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby robotguy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:58 pm

Matt Denton wrote:4, Electronics, I hope to get the p.Brain-ds24 in at approx £45, and the p.Brain-SMB at around £50. I haven't decided on a price for the p.Brain-hexapod engine as yet.

What is that in USD?

8-Dale
robotguy

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:08 pm

robotguy wrote:
Matt Denton wrote:4, Electronics, I hope to get the p.Brain-ds24 in at approx £45, and the p.Brain-SMB at around £50. I haven't decided on a price for the p.Brain-hexapod engine as yet.

What is that in USD?

8-Dale

Difficult to say, £45 = $88, however, VAT would be deducted if shipping outside UK, so it would be more like $75, but then there is shipping and the possibility of import duty!

P.S. 8-Dal, did you see my previous post on GPL? if not, take a look back a few posts. cheers.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby paulp » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:11 pm

As Matt mentioned before, trading in U.S. dollars is dependent upon the exchange rate and at the moment this is not good for the U.K. supplier.

There is an alternative, that we in the U.K. resort to and thats paying by credit card in U.K. pounds and letting the Card provider work out the exchange rate. Normally it falls about the same give or take a few pence.

The only thing you fall foul of then is the Import duty. In the U.K. personal imports of small amounts are usually ignored. Anything marked by the supplier as 'Hobby Robotics Spares' for some reason is exempt from duty as I found out when I fetched some stuff in from Tokyo..

Shipping, is always going to be expensive but if possible avoid Parcel Force as they have a nasty surprise.

If they handle a shipment, even if it is tax exempt, they will charge you £10 just for handling it. Most other shippers waive the charge if its exempt.
paulp

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:14 pm

paulp wrote:The only thing you fall foul of then is the Import duty. In the U.K. personal imports of small amounts are usually ignored. Anything marked by the supplier as 'Hobby Robotics Spares' for some reason is exempt from duty as I found out when I fetched some stuff in from Tokyo..

Do you know if this is the correct export term to label this type of goods... from UK?

paulp wrote:Shipping, is always going to be expensive but if possible avoid Parcel Force as they have a nasty surprise.

If they handle a shipment, even if it is tax exempt, they will charge you £10 just for handling it. Most other shippers waive the charge if its exempt.

Nice tip! I have been ordering my PCB's from china for a while, and did eventually receive a handling charge for import duty from DHL.
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby paulp » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:21 pm

I think the term is right, It was on the Customs and Excise site.
paulp

Postby MetalSkullRobotics » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:27 pm

Matt,

I have been sniffing around on your forum for like 3 days now. I really like your MSR-H01 design (especially the name, my "company" is called MSR (Metal Skull Robotics)). I'm planning on building a hexapod myself, already started designing and ordering parts.

The design looks like the concept of the MSR-H01. The only main difference is that the servo's in the rear two legs are facing the same direction as the other four. May I ask why you decided to rotate these 180degree?

Cheers Dennis
MetalSkullRobotics

Postby robotguy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Matt Denton wrote:8-Dale you seem to be a software guy, if you know the basic In's and outs of GPL, could you start a thread in the new Software/Discussions forum?

Yes, I much prefer to write software as opposed to doing mechanical stuff. I did start a thread about "Software Licensing" but am not sure I put it in the right place.

8-Dale
robotguy

Postby Matt Denton » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:26 pm

robotguy wrote:I'm also involved in the design of a Hammer-RDP (Robotics Development Platform) for the TinCanTools Hammer Board (200 Mhz ARM9, 32 MB RAM/16 MB Flash). I have the complete Hammer Kit. The RDP will be compatible with the mounting holes of the Lynxmotion boards. We are getting very close to having prototype boards to tinker with.

I was heading way off topic, so I started a new thread here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=49
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby plingboot » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:29 am

Matt, just wondered whether you have any timescales/dates for production/delivery in mind?
Sheriff of Nothing
plingboot

Postby Matt Denton » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:39 am

plingboot wrote:Matt, just wondered whether you have any timescales/dates for production/delivery in mind?

I'm not sure just yet, but rest assured I'm working hard on this. :) Biggest problem is I'm trying to release several products at the same time. I think the p.Brain-ds24 & p.Brain-SMB will be ready first, maybe 4/5weeks.

The kit I still have to decide on finish etc, and I'm waiting on samples from the anodizer. I'm also trying to get the kit price down, I have had several quotes from water-jet cutting companies, some much cheaper than others, the problem is that the samples all vary in quality, so I may end up going for a more expensive company to get the better finish.
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Hexapods