Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Hexapod Robots

Re: Hexapod Kit Design: MSR-H01

Postby wattsie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:00 am

It could possibly be my PC, Ive been looking for an excuse to get a new one! It randomly decides which programs will and wont work each day at boot up. Yesterday for example, it wasnt AutoCAD's day, which is a problem considering I use it for 9 hours a day for for my job!

Ive tried 3.3v and 5v, got the little red led on the control to light up once, but nothing else. The control is possibly bu99ered I guess! One thing I did notice was that sometime I got 1.7v on the 3.3v pin? could this be a brown out issue?!

Ill get to the botom of it all, up in the lakes till thursday, so no robot time till I get back to manchester.....

wattsie
wattsie

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:59 pm

wattsie wrote:Ive tried 3.3v and 5v, got the little red led on the control to light up once, but nothing else. The control is possibly bu99ered I guess! One thing I did notice was that sometime I got 1.7v on the 3.3v pin? could this be a brown out issue?!

You should have 3.3V on the 3.3V pin on CN17, if you have 1.7V then the HexEngine shouldn't be able to run?
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby wattsie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:55 am

All sorted on the PS2 control front... binned the old contol and went out to get a new Sony one, works fine! The 1.7v thing did seem a little strange, but i cant seem to replicate it now, so maybe just a glitch with the multimeter?

The little LED next to the power connectors is meant to light up when the powers on isnt it? Ive never seen the thing light up, despite the board being powered, not an issue, Ive put another power on indicator light into my hex now.

So we have been calibrated, configured, ps2 controlled... now its time to build a brain for my hex....

wattsie
wattsie

Postby Matt Denton » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:02 am

Great! glad all is working! :)

Yes the LED on the SMB should be on when the servo power is connected? it may be that the LED has been fitted the wrong way round! :o
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby wattsie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:31 am

Ill have a look to see if it is, either way its not a problem, although I sure you could kick up with you manufacturer!

wattise
wattsie

Postby tom_chang79 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:30 pm

I've always been curious with this question Matt.

Why does the MSR-H01 use two servo sizes? I guess my real question is, why did you decide to go with the mini servo for the coxa? Is it because it's not constantly carrying a payload such as the ones on the tibia and the femur?

Another question, ever thought of doing a Polypod? Lynxmotion used to offer it when they did their bodies in Lexan, but it's been discontinued. I've always LOVED that idea of having a hexapod that was modular, keep adding legs everytime you get a paycheck!
:lol:
tom_chang79

Postby Matt Denton » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi Tom,

The smaller coxa servo came from my V4 and iC Hexapod design. And the reason I use the smaller servo is because it keeps the coxa size down and as you point out not so much torque is required.

As for the polypod, I have never considered it.... I guess I spend too much time on hexapods :)
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby satishbhawra32 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:18 pm

the features and CAD drawings and let me know any thoughts on design/features.
satishbhawra32

Postby Lazer155 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:39 pm

I'm considering buying an MSR-H01 hexapod. The only thing I am worried about though is that I won't be able to get the PS2 controller working on it. Could someone give me a guide as to what is needed to get the PS2 controller working? I did a couple searches on the forum but can't seem to find a good wiring diagram. Also I would like to add an SRF08 range finder module to i. Is there any other control boards I would need to control the range finder?
Lazer155

Postby plingboot » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:41 am

Setting up the wireless/wired PS2 controller is very straightforward.
You just need to read through the various set-up guides HERE.

Check out the p.Brain-SMB guide first.

There is also a diagram showing the connections in THIS post. It also shows the other components required to add ultrasonic avoidance.

I created these diagrams and they're supposed to be as clear as possible.

Unless you're experienced in programming, go for an SRF08 if you intend to use a Basic Stamp Chip, or an SRF04 if you intend to use a BasicMicro AtomPro28 chip.
Sheriff of Nothing
plingboot

PreviousNext

Return to Hexapods