Hexapod Makeover

Hexapod Robots

Re: Hexapod Makeover

Postby Zenta » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi,
Very interesting topic about what you are working with for increasing the resolution on the Robotis servos. This could be a very interesting upgrade-product. Maybe you or someone else (or Robotis) could make it happend one day? ;)

Matt Denton wrote:I hacked them to increase resolution by amplifying the signal from the pot to reduce operational range to 150 degrees.

Did you post some info of how you did this?

-Zenta
Zenta

Postby Matt Denton » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Zenta wrote:Did you post some info of how you did this?

I have just placed a post HERE, of my hack and my findings on the dynamixel RX-10/28 servos.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby blegas78 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:49 pm

One of my hexapods has shipped off to Nuremburg, Germany, for Embedded World 2010. I am still updating some code for it, so I hope all goes well :shock:

The event starts tomorrow, Tuesday at 9am I believe. (Midnight for me here in Tucson, Arizona). Go check it out if any of you can!
blegas78

Postby blegas78 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:53 am

So I think I may hold the unofficial record for furthest controlled hexapod (in Germany from Arizona).
blegas78

Postby wuselfuzz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:58 am

blegas78 wrote:So I think I may hold the unofficial record for furthest controlled hexapod (in Germany from Arizona).

Heh, my gf controlled my hexapod in Germany from Boston a while ago. Close call. :)

I pondered going to Embedded World, but didn't have the time. :/

The company where I got my ARM module from had really cheap EW offers, e.g. Eddy 2.1 Development kit for 140 Euros.

/edit: Wow, you made it on foxnews. http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/02/ ... arns-walk/
Just got that link on irc. :)
wuselfuzz

Postby Matt Denton » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:17 am

Yeah very cool!

I hadn't realised your hex was teaching its self to walk, I presumed you were using the balance gesture technique similar to my own? You would love what I'm building here in the UK right now, can't say anything about it.. but if you ever fancy a sabbatical to the UK.... :)
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby blegas78 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:39 pm

wuselfuzz wrote:Heh, my gf controlled my hexapod in Germany from Boston a while ago. Close call. :)

Close one indeed! How was she able to control it?

Matt Denton wrote:I hadn't realised your hex was teaching its self to walk, I presumed you were using the balance gesture technique similar to my own? You would love what I'm building here in the UK right now, can't say anything about it.. but if you ever fancy a sabbatical to the UK.... :)

Ha, well the news media make it seem that the hexapod is learning in the video, but it's not. The video is just to show the 3D balance gestures based on a spring model applied along with inverse kinematics. The learning was the first thing I did before I fully explored IK, for the class project. I'm working on some better learning techniques though, some that will actually be video-worthy ;)

You have been working on this secret project for a while now, eh? Do you know when it will be able to be shown off to the world?
blegas78

Postby Matt Denton » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:58 pm

blegas78 wrote:You have been working on this secret project for a while now, eh? Do you know when it will be able to be shown off to the world?

Hopefully this summer, but that very much depends on how many other issues we have, and if I can get any voluntary help! Currently over budget, so paying for another person is out of the question. So it could be longer if I have to do all of the software myself... to much to do... not enough time or money :)
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby wuselfuzz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:31 pm

blegas78 wrote:
wuselfuzz wrote:Heh, my gf controlled my hexapod in Germany from Boston a while ago. Close call. :)

Close one indeed! How was she able to control it?

ssh + web port forwardings through my home router, vision via mjpeg-streamer in the browser, control via "simple_control" inside the ssh session.
wuselfuzz

Postby arnoldarever » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:52 am

Participating and giving my review about hexpod robot I wish to sate that.Till now I’ve always been a little scared of spiders, but for watching an hexapod robot dancing has cured me. Maybe it’s the combination of the folk guitar and little leg sways in the below video, but all of a sudden, spiders (at least the robotic kind) look so damn cute.Coming to this post and knowing about the make over of Hexapod robot was a fascinating experience.
arnoldarever

PreviousNext

Return to Hexapods