Lexy the Sexy Hexy

Hexapod Robots

Lexy the Sexy Hexy

Postby RiverRatDC » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:52 pm

Meet Lexy the sexy hexy. Yes, another MSR-H01, but she's my MSR-H01! And beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

Seriously though, my full compliments to the chef! I've been building various robots for over fifteen years and Matt, the design, fit, finish, and overall execution of this kit is the best I've experienced. The capabilitites of the finished product are simply stunning. The gaits and body articulations are totally natural and organic!

All the other robots gazing down from the shelves above are jealous. I hear them talking at night when I'm laying in bed. So far, no stray marks or cut wires on Lexy in the morning... :)

In completing the build, I lopped off about eight feet of servo wire and crimped on new pins and connector housings. As others have indicated, this greatly improves ongoing access to the HexEngine-SMB for continued tweaking and experimentation. It's a tedious job, but I think the results are worth the work. Also, after fitting the ESD200 Bluetooth module, I added two small SPST slide switches up under her shoulders. One switch opens and closes CN18-JP2 to permit the configuration terminal to be moved between the RS-232 and TTL serial ports without having to fish jumpers on the SMB. The second switch opens and closes JP1-2 to allow the ESD200 to be connected and disconnected from U1RX so the UART can be used for other purposes, again without fishing SMB jumpers. Also added a wireless PS2 controller. The native support for it in the HexEngine firmware is exceptional. I use 4600mah, 6V, subC NIMH battery packs genned up from Tenergy cells.

Had both a BS2P and ATOM Pro in the 'Brains Drawer'. No SRF08 in the 'Senses Drawer' however, so I installed an SRF04 instead. I modified the BS2P code from tutorial 4 (basic obstacle avoidance) to support the SRF04 connected to a BotBoardII rather than the SRF08 connected to the SMB. It works a treat. Then ported that code to use the BasicATOM Pro rather than the Stamp. This also worked very well. At some point, I'll modify the tutorial 4 BAP28 code to use the hardware serial port available on the ATOM to improve communication speed and reliability. But, the next project will be to fit my CMUCAM3 in place of the SRF04 and use the ATOM buffered hardware serial port to interface with the camera while continuing to use the half-duplex, bit-banging serial commands to talk to the HexEngine. The goal will be to recreate the color BLOB tracking of the RoboRealm tutorial in a self-contained, autonomous fashion. I'll share my results when it's finished.

Here's a couple of pictures of the sexy lady. The BlueSMiRF jewelry she's wearing on her neck is connected to the BotBoardII to aid in code debugging on the move.

Here are links to the source code for the SRF04 obstacle avoidance for both microcontrollers, Stamp and ATOM. Fold, spindle, mutilate and improve to your heart's content.

Stamp: http://users.rcn.com/klincoln/SRF04_Obstacle_Avoidance.bs2

ATOM: http://users.rcn.com/klincoln/srf04_obstacle_avoidance.bas
Last edited by RiverRatDC on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

+--------------------------------------------------------+
|"Backward compatibility isn't what it used to be..."|
RiverRatDC

Re: Lexy the Sexy Hexy

Postby Matt Denton » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:44 am

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the great comments! its always good to get this kind of feedback. :)

Also great work with using many of the HexEngine's features, If its ok with you i will add your atom code to the tutorial at some point, as a few users have expressed interest in a conversion.

I look forward to the CMUCAM tests, again this will make another great tutorial whihc I'm sure others would love to follow.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Matt Denton » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:48 am

Hi Kevin,

I have added your SRF04 / ATOM conversion to the guide: http://www.hexapodrobot.com/guides/HexEngine_2_BS2_Tutorial_04.html

Hope this is ok with you, any other contributions/guides welcome! :)
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby RiverRatDC » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:17 pm

Matt,

Feel free to use the code I posted anyway you see fit. You developed the logic, I just borrowed it. :) But I'm glad to share.

Should have mentioned this before - one thing to note: The ATOM code must be compiled with the latest Basic Micro Studio, version 1.0.0.10. Line number 195 in the code, which innocently enough declares 'Hex_Count = Hex_Count + 1', caused a compiler error in previous versions of their IDE. :roll: It apparently caused the internal hex modifier parser in the compiler to go home to momma even though it's not a reserved word. To their credit, they released a fix within twenty four hours of being notified! Renaming the variable also bypassed the error.

It helped to temporarily restore my sanity, 'cause I thought I was going crazy. :x

I'll keep everyone updated on the CMUCAM project.

Thanks again,
Kevin

RiverRatDC

Postby Demmo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:45 pm

looks very cool - everything is clean and fitted well :D

and btw. -> lol... funny topic name ;)
Demmo
btw. sorry for my english :P I should educate more ;) :lol:
Demmo

Postby RiverRatDC » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:47 pm

Demmo wrote:looks very cool - everything is clean and fitted well :D

Thanks, Demmo. Appreciate it.

Demmo wrote:and btw. -> lol... funny topic name ;)

Ah, she's all that! But frankly, the other robots aren't the only ones who are jealous. Sorry, Honey! :oops:
Kevin

RiverRatDC

Postby blegas78 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:57 pm

It certainly is sexy! Now we need to see a video of the obstacle avoidance. :)
blegas78

Postby RiverRatDC » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:59 am

blegas78 wrote:It certainly is sexy! Now we need to see a video of the obstacle avoidance. :)

Sorry, didn't think there would be interest in another video. Matt had this activity pretty well covered with his video on the tutorial page.

But she is sexy...

& I love the way she walks... 8-)

Kevin

RiverRatDC

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:19 am

RiverRatDC wrote:Sorry, didn't think there would be interest in another video. Matt had this activity pretty well covered with his video on the tutorial page.

There's always room for more videos! and its really good to see the results of other people using the tutorial :)

As you are using a slightly faster gait than I was in my tutorial, you could slow down the turn time in your Atom code, to give a 90 degree turn upon obstacle detection, that is of course if that's what you want ;)
Matt Denton

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby RiverRatDC » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:44 pm

Matt Denton wrote:
As you are using a slightly faster gait than I was in my tutorial, you could slow down the turn time in your Atom code, to give a 90 degree turn upon obstacle detection, that is of course if that's what you want ;)

Thanks, Matt.

It's the same wave gait 3 with standard leg transition speed as the original tutorial. When run on the BS2P, turn upon obstacle detection is closer to 90 degrees. When the identical logic is executed on the ATOM, the turn on obstacle detection is closer to 180 degrees. Haven't added any debugging code to see where the issue is, but my gut feeling is the higher execution speed of the ATOM (100,000 instructions per second vs. 12,000 ips for the BS2P) is causing more of the bit-banged SERIN responses from the head moves to fall 'out of band' (when the code is not in the SERIN instruction) and get dropped. Probably another good reason to migrate to the buffered hardware serial port (HSERIN/HSEROUT) on the ATOM. Will probably tweak the half-duplex software serial code first, so that it runs as originally intended. :) Change the gait & leg transition speed, or alter the internal program timing.
Kevin

RiverRatDC

Next

Return to Hexapods