Hexapod Servo Control

Hexapod Robots

Hexapod Servo Control

Postby dan1els0n » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:04 pm

I am new to Hexapods, so i appologise if i ask newbie questions!
I am currently struggling to decide what method would be the best to control all 18 leg servos, and possibly one on the head for panning. I bought the MSR-H01 Hexapod Robot Kit frame, 6 x Hitec HS-225MG servos, and 12 x Hitec HS-645MG servos to start with. I also bought the ESD200 Bluetooth Serial Module for wireless communication back to my PC. I am also considering adding a TPA81 thermal array sensor on the head to build up a basic thermal image by panning and taking 'snapshots'.
I have been doing much research and I am overwhelmed at all the different ways of interfacing and am unsure of the best way to go. I have moderate skills in both programming and circuit design, and i am trying to design the servo control and interface board myself as a project! any suggestions as to what chips or ucontrollers I could use would be very much appreciated!
dan1els0n

Re: Hexapod Servo Control

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:14 am

Hi,

I would probably start with an off the shelf serial servo driver, which could be hooked up either from a serial port or bluetooth port to a PC. Then you can concentrate on writing your hexapod engine. Once your happy with your engine running on the PC, then maybe look into creating your own embedded HexEngine such as the p.Brain-HexEngine unit. Trying to take on too much in one go may lead to allot of frustration! :)
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby dan1els0n » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:53 am

Thanks matt! do u have any suggestions for one of these serial servo drivers?
Dan.
dan1els0n

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:31 am

Well, although you could use one of our p.Brain-µ24 modules with our supplied SSC24 code, we don't currently offer an off the shelf solution which is pre-programmed. So I would suggest the one most people use which is the SSC32 by Lynxmotion.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Return to Hexapods