HexEngine locomotion question

Hexapod Robots

HexEngine locomotion question

Postby john-harper » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:51 am

Is there a way to get the HexEngine to move without restoring the body to the neutral position? Issuing an M comand first restores the body, then moves. Would be nice to be able to keep the body in a different posture while moving...? (I know this is a lot harder but if there's a way to do it then it's a shame not to take advantage of it!)

Also, is there a way from the PIP protocol to change the default rest time? Again I don't see one but you never know...

(I've upgraded to the latest H/E code from the web site... and we won't even talk about the fight I had to have with Windows 7 to make that possible, don't ask).

Thanks...

John
john-harper

Re: HexEngine locomotion question

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:54 am

Hi John,

john-harper wrote:Is there a way to get the HexEngine to move without restoring the body to the neutral position? Issuing an M comand first restores the body, then moves. Would be nice to be able to keep the body in a different posture while moving...? (I know this is a lot harder but if there's a way to do it then it's a shame not to take advantage of it!)

Indeed there is! within config, set RTR=0 (Reset Translate Rotate) This option resets the body prior to walking which can be useful in certain situations and I believe is default set on. You should be aware that you can run out of servo range when walking the hexapod in extreme poses, this can cause the engine to shut down the servos if SRC (servo range check) is enabled.

john-harper wrote:Also, is there a way from the PIP protocol to change the default rest time? Again I don't see one but you never know...

I presume you mean the time before the legs reset to neutral, if so, then yes.. that would be the relax time out RET whihc is set to 10 seconds default.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby john-harper » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Perfect! Thanks. If all goes well I'll take him along to the local robotics club (http://www.hbrobotics.org/) tomorrow night and show what he can do. It's all still simple stuff but quite impressive to watch. I wrote a little Python library for creating and sending PIP commands, I'll post a link to it when I get a few minutes.

Two more questions...

1. Is there a way to change the step height other than by config? Or a way to change config variables using PIP? Would sometimes be nice to be able to change this on the fly, e.g. when obstacles are encountered on the fly.

2. The timed commands (V, N) seem to happen as quickly as their non-timed equivalents. I've checked the PIP messages and they have the right values in the appropriate bytes. Is there something that needs to be configured?

Thanks again,

John
john-harper

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:00 pm

john-harper wrote:1. Is there a way to change the step height other than by config? Or a way to change config variables using PIP? Would sometimes be nice to be able to change this on the fly, e.g. when obstacles are encountered on the fly.

No, there is no way to access CONFIG commands from the PIP interface.

john-harper wrote:2. The timed commands (V, N) seem to happen as quickly as their non-timed equivalents. I've checked the PIP messages and they have the right values in the appropriate bytes. Is there something that needs to be configured?

Well they should work... however, I have to confess I haven't tested them recently. Have you tried testing them using the PodControl app?
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby pem » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:44 pm

I'm running the latest firmware (1.21) for the MSR-H01, and I can confirm that V-commands work. Be aware of any escape sequence issues, if you use 125 as a value, it equals to 0x7d, which must be escaped when running PIP mode 1.
pem

Return to Hexapods