Mix and Match servos, ODE and second hand kit

Hexapod Robots

Mix and Match servos, ODE and second hand kit

Postby al_f » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi there, I'm new to this forum (hello!) and am keen to build a hexapod. I'm doing a phd in a vaguely robot related field and want to write some neural network controllers for hexapod gaits. Bad thing is I have no income and am totally skint so am trying to do it on the cheap. I've got a bunch of 645mg's lying around and also some 5990TGs. The dimensions on those are 40*20*37 vs 41*20*38 on the 645mg's , does anyone know will the titanium gear ones fit on the MSR-H01robot, not sure how tight the tolerances are? Also is it ok to mix and match servos like that?

Secondly has anyone built a model of the MSR-H01 in ODE or any other physics modelling environment. I can build one myself and make it available for everyone but there's no point duplicating work.

Lastly has anyone got a MSR-H01 that they want to get rid of, possibly incomplete/skelton only as I'm not sure what the electronic guts will be yet I'm probably going to run the controller on a PC and use an XBEE to stream the control signals.

It's a shame I wasn't around earlier as it seems one just got sold for a reasonable price last week.
al_f

Re: Mix and Match servos, ODE and second hand kit

Postby al_f » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:37 pm

ok Don't worry about the servo dimensions or the second hand skeleton, I've decided to cut my own one out, this is turning into a major distraction from writing my thesis! I am still 6 servos short though if anyone wants to sell me some?

Still want to get my hexapod into a decent physics engine though, trying to decide whether to do ODE or Bullet.
al_f

Postby Matt Denton » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:28 am

Hi al_f,

There was another MSR-H01 for sale late last year, I think animesh was selling one, not sure where it was on the site but might be worth a look. Alternatively the µBug will be available soon and will cost much less, although your servos wont fit this model.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby al_f » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks Matt, have sent him a message. Think I'm going to start simple (after some painful experiences not doing so in the past) and just do a pattern generator for one leg, so there's no rush!
al_f

Return to Hexapods