Metal Skull Robotics Hexapod Project

Hexapod Robots

Re: Metal Skull Robotics Hexapod Project

Postby MetalSkullRobotics » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:38 pm

Today I have been working on the Hexapod. Made a testpcb and fitted all the wires. Made a small program for the hexapod and yes, it stands up :D I will soon make a vid of it when it does some more movements.
MetalSkullRobotics

Postby MetalSkullRobotics » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:20 pm

Testing the MSR Hexapod. Servo's controlled using a DIY electronics board with a Atmega 16 chip. The Hexapod makes very basic steps and doesn’t use any kind of Inverse Kinematics. Testing the MSR Hexapod. Servo's controlled using a DIY electronics board with a Atmega 16 chip. The Hexapod makes very basic steps and doesn’t use any kind of Inverse Kinematics.

[youtube=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ocyNrYREqFA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ocyNrYREqFA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>][/youtube]
MetalSkullRobotics

Postby Matt Denton » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:22 am

Looks like its coming along nicely! :) keep up the work. Did you get your little CNC router going?
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby MetalSkullRobotics » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:25 am

Still working on that project. Have so much things going on but my main priority is the garage, making my own little workshop inside.

MetalSkullRobotics

Postby MetalSkullRobotics » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Today I sold my old hexapod. I wasn't happy with the overall design and servo's where a bit cheapish (yeah yeah, I know you warned me). Today I ordered 20 new servo's. These would have 12kg/cm at 4.8V and 15kg/cm at 6V. These would be more than suitable for my new hexapod.

The design will be radical (I hope). I have some ideas about the Femur, Tibia, Coxa and main body that I haven’t seen elsewhere. I'm still working on the CAD drawings but as soon as there is something to show I will post it here!
MetalSkullRobotics

Postby jaspinall » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:44 am

MSR... how's your new design coming along?
Jason Aspinall
Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer & Freelance Photographer
http://www.chilledatthebottom.com
PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ASKING FOR DESIGN FILES
THEY ARE EXCLUSIVE TO ME AND ARE NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION OR FOR SALE
jaspinall

Postby MetalSkullRobotics » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:28 pm

Due to work and some private problems the design isn’t coming along as fast as it should. I’m at the stage where I’m choosing the materials that I will use going to use. The choices I have.

• Aluminium. Most commonly used in with the hexapods but I’m not capable of machining this very good. The cnc router I’m able to use cant mill this fast so it will take ages.
• Steel. Steel is very easy to machine. This is just drawing a dxf and cutting it with the laser. The previous hexapod took something around 10min. The only main disadvantage is the weight.
• Carbon Fiber. I have lots of Carbon Fiber sheets laying around. I can cnc-mill these but the disadvantage is the thickness which should be at least 5mm (for the design I’m thinking about)
• Polycarbonate. This is, like steel, easy for me to machine. The laser can also cut these sheets and they come in thicknesses I could use. The only disadvantage is that I don’t really like the looks of the most “clear” hexapods. I’m planning on using this material but I’m thinking outside the box for the design of the hexapod.

Polycarbonate is the material I will probably use. And like I said I’m trying to make the hexapod stand out due to its design. I did some tests with multiple servo setups like a coxa servo mounted to the body, and the Femur and Tibia servo mounted against eachother.

Cheers Dennis
MetalSkullRobotics

Postby MetalSkullRobotics » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Today I found myself having some spare time at work so I made some quick drawings which I cut out of 8mm Polycarbonate. These are just some samples for me of what is capable with the cutting of Polycarbonate where ass I’m new to this. Found out that the edges should be at least 2mm and 3mm holes aren’t any problem.

Comment please,
cheers Dennis
MetalSkullRobotics

Postby paulp » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:23 pm

Thick Poly really looks the part. I wanted to work in 8mm but my Dremel would have died..
paulp

Postby jaspinall » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:28 pm

Looks very pretty :)

How are you cutting the servo splines into the PC? Plus, it looks like you've superglued the coxa servos together ?!?! :?
Jason Aspinall
Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer & Freelance Photographer
http://www.chilledatthebottom.com
PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ASKING FOR DESIGN FILES
THEY ARE EXCLUSIVE TO ME AND ARE NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION OR FOR SALE
jaspinall

PreviousNext

Return to Hexapods