I'm looking for...

CNC discussions / projects / advice / questions

I'm looking for...

Postby Noodle » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:18 am

I'm looking for something cheap that can cut through acrylic probably about 5mm thick at the most, it doesn't need a z-axis, just cut all the way through. What is typically cheaper, CNC or Laser? All just for personal use, prototyping robotics stuff (jealousy has started to kick in :) ). The idea was to keep it under about $1000 AUD.

Any suggestions? Are there any physical stores that sell them? I've never seen them around, I just assume you have to buy it online.
Making robots from a school students wage :(
Noodle

Re: I'm looking for...

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:05 am

This is probably a little over budget, but not bad for a small kit form CNC router:

http://www.elektor.com/extra/profiler-milling-machine-from-a-kit.91274.lynkx
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Noodle » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:26 am

Just a tad. After spending my last day of my easter break searching for them, I've found the cheapest to be about $900 AUD without shipping. I need someone to go splits with it, or a good job :(.
Noodle

Postby No1_sonuk » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:41 am

There's always the DIY route. It's more work, but can turn out much cheaper in the long run - especially if you only want it for hobby work.

There are several plans sets you can buy (I have the Rockcliff plans, but not started yet).
You then buy the parts as and when you can, plus you can shop locally to save on postage, etc.

This route also means you can make it the size you want.

There is at least one Aussie on the Rockcliff forums, so he'd probably be able to help with sources.
No1_sonuk

Postby Matt Denton » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:40 pm

There was also this topic you may like to take a look at: http://www.hexapodrobot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=72#p491

take a look at the work MetalSkull was doing towards the end.
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Postby Noodle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:50 am

Matt Denton wrote:There was also this topic you may like to take a look at: http://www.hexapodrobot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=72#p491

take a look at the work MetalSkull was doing towards the end.

Now see I really love the CNC, but I really do think it is an overkill for cutting acrylic. However who knows what I might want to use it for. Then again, a laser would be cheaper to make (minus the laser) because it is only two planes, but I'm not sure I'm confident with my amateur electronic skills to play with lasers. Unless I can find an electrician to do that part for me. I like to work with DC Power under 12V :)

Hmm interesting topic. I'll give it some more thought.
Noodle

Postby Aggrav8d » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:54 am

I've cut all my acrylic designs on a CNC machine. $30 for a single sheet of 4mm acrylic has enough plastic to cut my robot parts 4 or 5 times over.
Aggrav8d

Return to CNC