Distance measurement prevents collision

Hexapod Robots

Distance measurement prevents collision

Postby pem » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:45 pm

No collision

In this video, the MSR-H01 approaches an obstacle, but stops in time to avoid a collision. The hex is controlled by a joystick, not visible in the video, which is set on forward. The distance is constantly measured by a SRF08 mounted on a small servo, which ensures a broad view. When near an obstacle, forward movement is disabled by the control program, but backwards is still enabled, allowing the hex to move away.

The SRF08 is connected to the I2C circuit on the p.Brain and measurements is constantly fired through commands sent from the control program, which executes on an ordinary PC. Each time a measurement is made, a red light is flashed on the SRF08. The communication between the HexEngine and the control program is through Bluetooth (Parani ESD200) mounted on the p.Brain SMB.
pem

Re: Distance measurement prevents collision

Postby Matt Denton » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:09 am

Nice work, and good to see someone utilising the I2C remote device access feature of the p.Brain :)
Matt Denton
AKA: Winchy_Matt

micromagic systems ltd
Matt Denton
Site Admin

Re: Distance measurement prevents collision

Postby pem » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Actually I have tried with two sensors on the p.Brain I2C bus, a SRF08 and a CMPS10 (compass). Although it works, the communication over the serial port seems to become saturated, and reading errors crop up. My plan is to mount a BeagleBone Black on the hex and offload the sensor readings to the I2C bus on that.
pem

Return to Hexapods